Lion - problem with delayed drag when dragging and dropping

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by spiritlevel, Nov 10, 2011.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Ever since I installed Lion I have been having a problem with drag and drop.

There is a delay between clicking and holding on a file in the finder before it turns transparent and I can drag it somewhere else. This delay gets progressively longer depending on how long it has been since a restart - after restart it is back to normal (no delay) again before the problem gradually starts creeping back in - at first a couple of seconds, then 10, then 30 and finally it seems no matter how long I am holding on the file it refuses to be picked up! (after a couple of days since restart)

I have read other threads about similar issues but they seem to be trackpad based (I am on a Mac Pro and use a logitech mouse) and relate more to problems with dropping than dragging. Nevertheless I have tried the suggested solutions to no avail - repaired permissions, sleep/wakeup etc.

Some have suggested it is a memory issue but I have 14GB Ram and this problem can happen when iStat menus tells me i still have as much as 7GB RAM free - although the fact that it gets progressively worse over time does make memory or cache of some kind a suspect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone shed any light on it or recommend a solution?

thanks

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I have seen this also on my iMac. It has something to do with bad kext files.

3. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Did you manage to fix the problem on your iMac or is it still happening?

My I ask how you know bad next files are responsible and do you have any idea how i might track down the culprit?

thanks again.

4. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

I've still got this problem and it's driving me mad! - have to keep restarting and/or doing things differently to work round the problem (open file from app rather than drag file onto app icon etc)

Can some knowledgeable soul offer any suggestions please?

thanks

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

I'm still working on this issue. Sometimes their is a delay and then it will drop, other times I have to try again for it to work. Fail.

6. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks - best of luck - let me know how you get on.

Just to be clear, my issue is with dragging (can't pick things up) not dropping...