Lion rebuild issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BushyRS, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BushyRS macrumors newbie

Hi there

OK, got a new iMac with 256 flash drive and 2TB HDD

Had issues transferring my account from old machine to it as i was trying to use 256 drive for OS and other for users/apps/data etc. WHatever i did i messed everything up so i could not log on

Now i have decided to recover a copy of Lion and start again

Only trouble is after about half an hour to rebuild i have been presented with the name/password log in screen like server but none of the names or passwords i have used can get me to log in

Any help would be appreciated

Bushy

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

First off, I want to make sure we're clear here: you have a 256 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD, correct? A "256 flash drive" sounds like you either have 256 flash drives laying around or a 256 GB flash drive, which doesn't exist (edit: apparently it does!). A flash drive is a USB drive you plug in, a SSD is an internal drive.

When you went to reinstall Lion, did you erase the SSD first? If not, Lion is likely attempting a repair instead of a reinstall. I'm not sure which you're referring to as a "rebuild". You also should be able to use the recovery partition to simply reset your password without needing the previous password. Either route should do the job for you. Good luck!

3. BushyRS thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

I think you are right i was not giving the correct info

So i have now worked out how to do a clean install instead of a rebuild so that should sort that out

Any ideas how to split the users/apps/documents from the SSD to the HDD?

Thanks

Bushy

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You want all the apps on your SSD, as that is the whole point of having an SSD. Having the SSD and then putting all your apps on the HDD would be like buying a Ferrari and then driving it through city traffic to work every day.

You can move your user folder to the HDD, however. Before doing this, however, create another administrator level user. You're going to leave this user on your SSD because it is simply a backup user and will take up almost no space. This will allow you to log in to your computer should something go wrong. Simply move your user folder to the HDD (I'd recommend placing it in YourHDDName/Users/YourUser). Let it copy and leave the original on the SSD in case something goes wrong. Then open up your system preferences, go to the Users and Groups pane. If it's locked, unlock it. Then simply right-click on your user, go to Advanced Options, and choose the new location. Reboot. If it all still works, then you can delete the original directory of your user from the SSD.