Lion recovery?? help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twolve, Aug 7, 2011.

1. twolve macrumors newbie

Hello, I am completely new to Apple computers and I just bought a used macbook pro, its in very good condition however the previous users didn't uninstall some programs. I don't have recovery cds but from my understanding I can wipe the hard drive if I install lion without cds right? I know its trivial but thanks for the help!

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u can from the mac app store but if u didnt buy lion, then u have to contact the seller...should have bought new man LOL

3. twolve thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not started the process yet, I am just wondering if I can wipe the hard drive without discs if i install lion first, thanks

4. tekkietekkie macrumors member

if your trying to install lion from a usb key yes you can wipe it, during install just use disk utility and format the drive

but if you don't have the CD's you won't get the mac programs that came with the machine if it had any like garage band, iPhoto etc

5. twolve thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to download lion from the app store, would that not work? To be honest thats fine with me that I dont have garageband or iphoto on it for now

6. tekkietekkie macrumors member

7. twolve thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you :) and so I just open up this app before lion finishes installing?

8. tekkietekkie macrumors member

exactly, you can do it manually with other information but this app is simple to use :) I created a CD and also the USB key and the USB key loads way faster :)

9. twolve thread starter macrumors newbie

ok awesome so i need to have a blank thumbdrive in and open this app before it finishes and thats all?

10. tekkietekkie macrumors member

I think it blows it away even if its not clean

11. twolve thread starter macrumors newbie

blows it away? And thanks for all your help too!