Lion released, buying MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shwnmtthw, Jul 20, 2011.

1. shwnmtthw macrumors newbie

If I buy a MBP today, will Lion be preinstalled on it? Or is there a period of time when I have to wait for the inventory to diminish before they will start coming preinstalled. Does it matter?

2. NStocks macrumors 65816

I just spoke to Apple on-line chat and they told me that they will ship with Lion installed...

Kind strange that they haven't added the graphic like they have with MBA and mac mini that says " Ships with Lion".

I'd ring up just to make sure (even though it's free, it's better to get in installed by 'default' IMO)

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I disagree. Having Snow leopard as well gives you a second, known-to-be-stable OS in case anything goes horribly wrong with Lion, which is bound to have plenty of kinks to work out still.

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

True from that perspective, but I guess that when you sell it, people would'prefer' to see Lion on the box rather and SL. Plus it's less hassle for the buyer really, if they ever need to do a clean install..

Other than that, there are probably no benefits.

5. Semaphoric macrumors member

I just chatted with an AppleStore agent, and she says Macbook Pros won't necessarily ship with Lion if you buy them today:

Hi, my name is Holly. Welcome to Apple!
    Holly: Good afternoon!
    You: Hi, if I buy a macbook pro 15" today, will it ship with OSX lion?
    Holly: With it just being released today, I cannot make any guarantees that it will. But if not, you will be able to download it for free from the Mac App Store.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, apple needs to finish selling all the Snow Leopard equipped Macs in the pipeline. It will take a little while before Lion equipped MBPs start appearing in the distribution channel.

7. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

How long? Are we talking days or weeks?

8. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I'm sure someone on the forum has detailed inventory turnover numbers they'd be more than happy to share with you.

9. stevenpa macrumors 6502

I'm debating MBA/MBP now and it would be at least two weeks or so I'd say in store, but online by next Monday or when they add the "ships with lion" graphic.