Lion Restore Hanging

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 74pants, Aug 31, 2011.

1. 74pants macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Having installed Lion on my MBP, 3 weeks later i came across a system failure, lucky i had backed up my important files, but not via time machine.

So an erase and reformatted journaled HDD was made.

Now when I try and reconnect to the Lion Recovery Installer, it hangs on the "loading Installation Information"

How long should this spinning wheel spin for? Surely it should hit the Apple Servers, gather its information then bounce back and start the install??

The initial upgrade from SL was made via the App Store as normal, so Apple has the info my my App Store account.

I have let it wait for at least 2hrs on WiFi and also plugged into my cable modem.

Thoughts? really want my MBP up and running again... Rather annoying! I am just lucky I have a few days off work! But what a way to spend those days fixing your computer!

Any info would be appreciated

My MBP is a JAN11 model, 500GB HDD, 8gb DDR3 SDRAM, 2.8ghz

2. TPadden, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

TPadden macrumors 6502a

Recovery Installer partition is only 600MB and does not contain the Lion install files. It has to completely download Lion (approx 3.8GB) so it could EASILY take much longer than 2 hours depending on your download speed. As I remember my initial download took approx 4 hours.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

3. 74pants thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought as much, and a 3.5gb download was the case, but thought better to pose the question.
    Cheers mate, just cross my fingers and wait!
    have to get it up and running again, this Sony netbook is doing my head in!

4. 74pants thread starter macrumors newbie

a progress indicator would be a nice add on instead of the spinning wheel!
    Hence why i posed the question of it hanging!

5. PhotoNate macrumors newbie

this is not accurate, apple says on their recoveryhd document that the text should appear "briefly." This most likely means that it is not downloading everything there, although it would appear that different documents say different things. It would appear Apple has not fully come to terms with how much they really messed lion up, I'm really surprised it has taken this long for them to acknowledge a huge design fault here. It took a few months before they opened up about the dangerous ipod batteries or iPhone problems, and its arguable if they have even fixed either. Hopefully they will again start to care about personal computers not just flashy gadgets

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Tip: Making a flash drive.

To save time. Perhaps once you've gotten your system up and running again, it might be of interests to you to create a Lion flash drive or recovery/re-installation.

The process is simple and all you need is a spare 8Gb USB Flash drive, a free copy of SuperDuper and of-course a copy of your MacOS X Lion.

To find the dmg file for SuperDuper's source you need to:
    Right click (Ctrl+click) on the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" and select Show Package Contents from the menu and a new window will appear. Navigate your way to "InstallESD.dmg" (Content > sharedSupport > InstallESD.dmg) Then option+drag the item to your desktop (creating a copy).. Now use the copy as your source file.

FYI: It's possible to use Apple's Disk Utility for this task but I find it doesn't always work for me. But using SuperDuper is just fool-proof!!

7. john.orban macrumors newbie

Hanging is a problem...

Something's definitely wrong.

I wanted to do a CLEAN install of Lion after upgrading 10.6.8 on my MacPro. Ever since the upgrade to Lion the machine has been clunky - just doesn't run as smooth as my iMac or MacBook Air. I did find a hard drive issue when I did a Verify and had to boot to the restore partition (which is another whole issue), but eventually got the disk repaired. So, I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

But I booted to the restore partition thinking I could wipe the hard drive and reinstall fresh.

I got to Disk Utility - and repartitioned the drive. Then I got an error message that DU couldn't unmount the drive - most likely because the Restore Partition was running on it???

Anyhow, I proceeded and got the spinning gear. I left it running for nearly 18 hours and when I came in this morning, it was still running.

I started to do the whole process over but realized that the drive was never partitioned, so I just went ahead and booted to computer and it's working now.

I guess there must be some other method of doing a "Clean Install". I guess the only way is to boot to an external drive (which I have created) and then wipe the MacPro from DU there and then install Lion? I'll give that a go and see what happens.

8. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I woke up this morning to find that my 2011 MBP on 10.7.2 had frozen after i left it overnight downloading. A restart gave me a grey screen with a striked circle on it.

I restarted on a Tech Tool 6 protogo USB stick and it repaired the directory structure. It restarted no worries.

Techtool Pro 6 and Data Recovery 3 are essential software for anybody on a Mac.