Lion - right click manual trackpad press doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Dec 25, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Okay, I didn't know how to describe this but basically, only a double tap will give me a secondary click... the tactile or whatever u call it, pressing down for the click on the pad does not work!

any help please?

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean, if you put two fingers on the trackpad and click (and not tap), it will not be registered?
    Have you looked at the Trackpad settings yet?
    Do you have BetterTouchTool or MagicPrefs installed?

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

By default, OSX does not have a secondary click. There are several ways to emulate a "right click", from which you can choose in the system preferences:
    - two finger click
    - click bottom left
    - click bottom right

you have to set this to whatever behavior you want. Now, what exactly is not working for you? Two finger click?

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I just bought my wife a MBP and this has been driving me nuts. I just wanted to right-click on the right of the trackpad and it didn't work. I thought the machine was faulty until I found your post. Thank you for this! Was this default introduced in Lion? I don't remember it ever before, including my own MBP which I migrated from Snow Leopard to Lion....

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Yeah certain settings were migrated from SL so you wouldn't notice, but the Lion defaults are slightly different.

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Preferences - TrackPad - Point and Click Tab - Highlight Secondary Click - Click on the drop down list and select ' Click on the bottom right corner '

Done!

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Glad I could help :)

I don't know what OSX's default settings are these days, but Macs always were "one mouse button" machines, so I'm not surprised that by default, a second mouse button is not activated.

8. thalazy macrumors regular

Yes!

Thank you for the info. I was missing this feature from Windows and this being my first Mac I was confused if I could do this and doing searches I only recently learned of the two finger method. Now that I can assign it to the bottom right of the trackpad I can right click away. Make's using my rMBP that much more enjoyable.