Resolved Lion running hotter in my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by johnhw, Jul 5, 2011.

1. johnhw, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

johnhw macrumors 6502

With anyone with the GM installed, does your Macs running considerably hotter than before? In SL my iMac was typically running at 40 to 45 degrees celsius, but in Lion it's running at 50-57 degrees celsius..? and I thought Lion was supposed to be much more efficient.

2. seong, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

seong macrumors 65816

seong

I have no idea if you are a developer or pirate, but let me tell you one thing. Just because it runs 'hotter' doesn't mean it's going to explode or anything. It just might be a bug or you are just running more apps than before. By trying 10.x.0, you are basically facing a risk of finding out plenty, if not, few, bugs. These 10.x.0 builds, whether GM or official, will always have bugs. Don't worry. You are not carrying a portable bomb in your backpack.

EDIT: You should take a look at what simsaladimbamba posted below. That will get you figured out quickly.

3. simsaladimbamba, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011

simsaladimbamba

4. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

I have did this, CPU was very low and Memory was just the same. Nothing was making the CPU erratic. But I noticed that the Fan Speed was at really low (around 1050-1200 rpm) setting in SMCFanControl, it somehow got screwed up when it probably upgraded to Lion. I switched it back to the normal 1800rpm and everything was just as cool.

(Oh, and I'm not a pirate. I have a Dev account.)

5. shompa macrumors 6502

Check %system.

My mac is much hotter since 10.7.

I/O swapping with memory leak. This is with 8 gig of memory and running safari, mail, ical, iTunes and macpar.

Steve thinks that needs 10 gig memory :rolleyes:

6. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I have GM installed on my Macbook Pro 2011. It runs very hot for basic web surfing. The battery too drains much faster. Looking forward to a patch soon after release.

7. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Hostile much?

While it's possible it is making things run a little hotter, all of the points below are well said. I would not personally worry about it either, I have a few developer friends I asked who have not reported anything out of the ordinary.

8. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

I can confirm that.

9. penguintri macrumors member

Same. My macbook pro runs about 10c hotter than on snow leopard. Going to see if a fresh install other than upgrade helps.

10. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Mine runs exactly the same. SL ran about 55-60 C and so does Lion.

11. rodknocker macrumors 6502

What does it mean?
    [​IMG]

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

One of the dangers of running a fan-control app instead of just letting the computer handle its own cooling.

13. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I'm with you. I just a made a Lion install DVD. Going to do an "all-so-fresh" install of Lion.

14. shompa macrumors 6502

start terminal window and type top and press return.

I have load averages of 4.45 with 4 program running.

over 100% cpu utilization with mail, safari and Ical
    :rolleyes:

15. sunnyd76 macrumors newbie

Completely agree. I notice that the fans are not kicking in so quickly. But I don't think this is what's causing the temp issue because my battery life has dropped considerably even tho my idle is comparable to SL (hovers around 98% with chrome running 15 tabs). So why has my battery life dropped from 5+ hours to 2-3 hours tops??! Something in the system is generating heat, I think it could be graphics card related as that's the one thing that doesn't report power/performace under activity monitor....

thoughts?

16. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

I really have to have a minimum speed because I live in a warm/hot environment.

17. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

A clean install solves many of the problems. My MBA now idles at 47 compared to 53C+ before. However, it's still not at the 40-43C level of SL.

18. seong macrumors 65816

seong

One question to the OP.
    Are you running SMCfancontrol or not?

19. Novecento macrumors member

Novecento

No problems here on a white C2D MacBook. Only Flash seems to raise the CPU temperature more than it used to in SL, sometimes reaching up to 84°C, max in SL was 76°C.

20. johnhw thread starter macrumors 6502

I have said earlier, I was. It was the culprit actually.

21. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

My MacBook Pro typically runs at 75º :/

It's running at that now, and all I have open is Safari, Mail, iTunes and Skype!

Lion will melt my machine

22. bk123 macrumors member

Now that u mention it so dose mine..
    but yes mine is pirated =(

2GB model, 30-50MB system memory is free

Now that sounds bad :O

23. mstrze, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

mstrze macrumors 68000

But regardless of the ambient air temperature in the room, wouldn't the internal fans kick-on if the internals got too hot? You are just assuming that the internal programming won't do the job properly? And what makes you think that your choice of fan speed is the best for the temperature?

Seems like a lot of assumptions about a laptop that was tested and set-up to work under a myriad of conditions.

If your home is too hot, why not store the laptop in the refrigerator when not in use to keep it as cool as possible so it won't get as hot as fast when you start using it?

24. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Mine runs in between 45-50 C in SL and I am quite happy with that, of course having 5-10C higher temps will not explode my mbp but nobody wants to use a hot computer and also I dont like to hear fan noise its just bugging me off.

If i will not get the same performance and temp i will not use lion

25. dub. pG macrumors newbie

Spotlight mdworker and mds module causes the hot temps!

I am not sure if this has already been shared but now that OSX Lion is available to the public SMCfancontrol has released an update to support the new Lion 10.7.

Once you update SMC you will still find your Mac running hotter than usual largely due to Spotlight and the mdworker/mds module. Shortly after you update to Lion, your Spotlight index will begin rebuilding. If you open up Activity Monitor you will see mdworker and mds hard at work.

After the indexing OSX Lion will start to rebuild it's cache and you'll see kextcache in your Activity Monitor.

I hope this helps all those new to Lion.

Here's the osXdaily article:
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/09/mac-running-hot-and-slow-fans-loud-after-installing-lion/