Lion runs cooler

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by David-fr, Jul 20, 2011.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

After the install and initial boot up, my MBP was flaming hot compared to SL - that was just the first run of it after upgrading, so maybe it'll cool down after another reboot.

3. David-fr thread starter macrumors 6502

Let us know.. Sometimes i think there is something wrong with mine for how cool it runs, no kidding here.

4. P51Mustangrulz macrumors newbie

Mine was also running flaming hot. I shut it off for a few hours, and have re-booted it several times, and now it's running at temps that I would expect. But after the first boot it was at 70+ Celsius just at idle; and that's on a 2.4 ghz C2D!

5. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

As someone pointed on another thread, the likely cause for an initial temps to be high is Spotlight indexing.

Mine's currently going, and I'm at 140F... but my fans are all the way up.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I finally installed Lion yesterday on my 2008 Penryn MBP. I did the regular upgrade install.

Today it seems to be running significantly cooler to the touch than with Snow Leopard. This is not from reported temperatures (I haven't checked), but the left palm rest area used to get really warm if plugged to AC for awhile (I am at work most days.)

It's been powered on and plugged in all day today, and while it feels a little warm its much cooler now, and not uncomfortable at all.

So far I like Lion, but its different enough that I can see how it would throw off some people's workflows. The only thing I wish for is some default gesture to switch tabs in Safari and other apps. I tried BetterTouchTool, but I am getting a weird bug where it switches the 3-finger Mission Control Swipe to 4-finger (even though it still says 3-finger in System Preferences.)

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

it seem bit cooler after install Lion on Nov 3rd….iSTATS Pro reports cpu temp 54c not that bad I guess.