Lion runs cooler

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
After the install and initial boot up, my MBP was flaming hot compared to SL - that was just the first run of it after upgrading, so maybe it'll cool down after another reboot.

Comment

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
After the install and initial boot up, my MBP was flaming hot compared to SL - that was just the first run of it after upgrading, so maybe it'll cool down after another reboot.
Let us know.. Sometimes i think there is something wrong with mine for how cool it runs, no kidding here.

Comment

P51Mustangrulz

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Mine was also running flaming hot. I shut it off for a few hours, and have re-booted it several times, and now it's running at temps that I would expect. But after the first boot it was at 70+ Celsius just at idle; and that's on a 2.4 ghz C2D!

Comment

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Mine was also running flaming hot. I shut it off for a few hours, and have re-booted it several times, and now it's running at temps that I would expect. But after the first boot it was at 70+ Celsius just at idle; and that's on a 2.4 ghz C2D!
Let us know.. Sometimes i think there is something wrong with mine for how cool it runs, no kidding here.
As someone pointed on another thread, the likely cause for an initial temps to be high is Spotlight indexing.

Mine's currently going, and I'm at 140F... but my fans are all the way up.

Comment

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I finally installed Lion yesterday on my 2008 Penryn MBP. I did the regular upgrade install.

Today it seems to be running significantly cooler to the touch than with Snow Leopard. This is not from reported temperatures (I haven't checked), but the left palm rest area used to get really warm if plugged to AC for awhile (I am at work most days.)

It's been powered on and plugged in all day today, and while it feels a little warm its much cooler now, and not uncomfortable at all.

So far I like Lion, but its different enough that I can see how it would throw off some people's workflows. The only thing I wish for is some default gesture to switch tabs in Safari and other apps. I tried BetterTouchTool, but I am getting a weird bug where it switches the 3-finger Mission Control Swipe to 4-finger (even though it still says 3-finger in System Preferences.)

Comment