lion runs hotter than SL?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by littleasian, Jul 6, 2011.

1. littleasian macrumors member

I installed the lion GM 2 days ago and have noticed that my mbp now runs much warmer than it did under SL.

using istat the temps hover around 64-65 where under SL my temps were around 57-58.

is anyone noticing their laptop run hotter too? my battery life seems to be lower too.

2. stewacide macrumors regular

Un-scientifically I think it's running a bit hotter, but nothing close to Windows or Linux on the same hardware, which nearly melt the case.

3. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine runs the same temps, but even in SL they were higher then when I first bought my early-2007 MacBook Pro.

4. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

It does run hotter and thats because Lion in it's current iteration is more resource hungry than SL.

5. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I think SL 10.6.8 is running hotter than 10.6.7... And there was a significant raise in temperature starting from 10.6.4.

I'm not sure whether it's an actual increase in temperature or the way the computer is reporting the numbers.

6. parrishr13 macrumors newbie

parrishr13

For me the GM runs significantly hotter than SL. I'm hoping Lion from the app store will be different.

7. mwxiao macrumors regular

This is bad news. Lion should've been released in winter...

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well of course. Snow Leopard would be cooler, given their indegenious regional climates.

Who would expect a Lion to live out in the snow anyway? :p

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I lost about 30 minutes of battery life under Snow Leopard. It is not surprising.

10. staeit macrumors member

Lol such ignorance... where on earth did you get the idea that windows/Linux runs hotter? You do know that OSX is based off of unix right?

11. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog