Lion Safari downloads button vanished

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjtidy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. sjtidy macrumors member

I used the Customise Toolbar menu to add the Downloads button permanently to the Safari toolbar, and it's sat there happily until yesterday. The button vanished, and only appears when I'm downloading something. It doesn't appear in the Customise Toolbar menu either, unless there's something in the downloads list. I've tried restarting, reinstalling, and nothing's worked, apart from briefly showing two Downloads buttons which then promptly vanished too.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a fix? I'm running Safari 5.1.1 on Lion.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. sjtidy thread starter macrumors member

I know about the downloads popover, and that the button's default behaviour is to only appear during downloads. The point is that I had added it to the toolbar and it stayed there all the time, and was movable, just like any other button.

4. tug macrumors 6502

yeah, it happened to me when i cleared it, i got it back by d/l something and it reappeared and stayed there. seems to me that it will only show when there is downloaded files in the cache.

5. sjtidy thread starter macrumors member

It does stay in the toolbar when there's something in the downloads cache, but I still can't move it as I used to be able to.

6. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

I'm having the same problem. Really annoying...

7. tudyniuz macrumors member

tudyniuz

I didn't want to start a new topic, but I have the same problem. I cleared the list of downloads and the downloads tab disappeared.

Even if I do download something, it doesn't come back. It's not in the customize menu so I don't see any way to get it back.

Any ideas?

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

There needs to be an option under the 'window' menu to open it like in Chrome.