Lion Safari: Missing URL in bar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HiRez, Jul 24, 2011.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Not sure if this is Lion-specific or Safari 5.1-specific, but in Safari on my new Air with Lion, once a the page loads, the URL never shows up in the bar. If I got there by a bookmark (didn't type anything), it stays on the default "Go to this address" text. If I did type something in the bar, it stays exactly how I typed it and doesn't resolve to the full URL (for example, if I type "espn", it loads the ESPN page, but the bar still says "espn", whereas in previous versions of Safari it would have resolved to "http://espn.go.com" or something like that and changed the text I typed). Anyone else have this happening? It's really annoying because I can't see the true URL of the page I'm on, and I can't copy the URL out of the bar for other uses.

2. John Mang macrumors member

I though it was just me! Anyway I've noticed this has to do with safari being in Full Screen, because this problem never occurs when normal. The bug will be addressed in 10.7.1.. most likely

3. jaminconn macrumors newbie

same same.

yeah, I went into full screen mode and after coming back out... now i'm stuck with chrome because safari won't snap out of it. i keep trying full screen or window mode and both show no address bar. bluh. i'd love to hear of any work arounds possible as I really prefer safari in lion. it was a really nice program till this issue arrose.

4. AppWhisperer macrumors newbie

Safari in Lion is really irritating - and I love Safari!

Changes are not always improvements and there's a lot about Lion - especially when it comes to Safari - that I don't love. The full-screen app feature drives me nuts - is there any way of turning it off? I've searched System and Safari Preferences to no avail. I hate the fact that I have to go to the top of the screen in Safari to get back to normal, to get a search bar - and to get the empty URL bar!

The empty URL bar in Safari is just the start. I usually use Private Browsing - not that I go anywhere much other than Gmail, Facebook and Twitter, I just prefer to have as few cookies around as possible. But even though Safari says it's in Private Browsing, it now seems to leave a History trail.

I love Safari and have used it for years above all other browsers - but now I'm using Firefox, especially because it has the automatic Private Browsing mode, which Chrome and Safari don't. I tried writing my own code to start Safari in Private Browsing but once I upgraded to Lion it no longer worked.

If Lion had made my Mac as fast as my iPhone, I would have been blown away. I already had the Magic Trackpad, which I love, and although it is a little more iPad-like now, there's not a huge difference.

5. ken pun macrumors newbie

I was having the exact same issues with my new MBA running safari 5.1 (7534.48.3). I found that if I get out of full screen mode and turn on "Show Tool Bar" in the VIEW menu, then when I go back to full screen mode the address bar will be working fine. It seems to fix all the issues I had before.

6. cladeira macrumors newbie

There is nothing wrong with Lion or Safari. You need to go to "View" on the top bar of the safari menu. Then, select "view toolbar". And you will now see the url addresses and google search engine.

: - )