Lion, selecting app via Spotlight no longer jumps to app

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mauritzhansen, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mauritzhansen macrumors newbie

Since installing Lion, selecting an app via Spotlight no longer jumps to the an app if the app is open in a different space. Under Snow Leopard it did not matter in which Space the application was open, focus would go there if I selected it via Spotlight.

Is there a setting to revert to the old behaviour?

2. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

My Lion Install does exactly that: focus any app in any space if selected via spotlight. Did you try this with multiple apps?

3. mauritzhansen, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

mauritzhansen thread starter macrumors newbie

SvP,

You are right, it does work: but only if the option 'Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use' is selected in Mission Control. I want to know what is open in which space and know what I will find where when I move around my spaces. However, disabling this automatic rearranging also seems to disable the Spotlight 'jump to app' functionality.

4. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

My settings are set like that, allready. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. Joos24 macrumors regular

Same here, I have my setting unchecked to Automatically Rearrange Spaces and if I type into Spotlight an already opened app it will jump to the space of that app. The OP needs to recheck his setup for any haxies or recently installed software or any previously installed unorthodox software that may be causing this erratic behavior after the Lion upgrade.

One note on this, why would anyone want to use Spotlight just to jump to an open app? Wouldn't it just be faster to use Mission Control or the Dock?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That checkbox shouldn't really matter, but the one below it does. Are you sure that's selected?

jW

7. mauritzhansen, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

mauritzhansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Working now ...

Well, not sure what changed but I have now again unchecked the 'Automatically rearrange ...' checkbox and selecting an app via Spotlight now jumps to the other space.

Thanks for the responses - this is now working for me.

Joos24: as I use the mouse minimally, jumping to an app using the keyboard (via Spotlight, Command-Space) is much faster than using the mouse.