Lion Server and NetBoot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CondorXIII, Oct 31, 2011.

1. CondorXIII macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Love this place btw. Everyone is so helpful. Just have a strange question. I've got my Mac Pro setup with Lion Server and I'm using NetBoot that I have an image pre-made for when I reformat, I just load the image rather than from scratch...saves me hours! Long story short, I boot up from the image on the network and it's stuck on a spinning wheel at the Apple sign. It's the same machine as when it was made so I don't know why it would be having problems. Are there any complicated or not so complicated steps I missed you? Thanks in advance.

2. goMac macrumors 603

What version of OS X is the Netboot image running?

Also, I'm not sure you can just run any old image you want through Netboot. They have to be special Netboot created images.

3. CondorXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

The version that is running on the machine I'm trying to take the image from has been updated to 10.7.2 with the Combo Update. I have not done the EFI Firmware update or the ThunderBolt update as those are firmware and not worried about them being apart of the image. About the whole, not able to take just any image. I was aware if I put the target machine in "Target Disk Mode" it would show up as a suitable image when I open up the System Image Utility. (Which it does) And then when I capture that image as a possible restore image, it adds the necessary file add-ons to make it a bootable image. I can get it that far, just when it's loading into the bootable image it's stuck on the spinning Apple.

4. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think that's how restore images work... A restore image is typically an image that installs the image you give it, not a working bootable copy.

I'm still pretty sure you can't just feed Netboot an arbitrary image and have it work. There might be a blessing process.

(Yeah, here is a doc on blessing a NetRestore image: http://macadmins.psu.edu/2011presentations/PSUMAC201-Netbooting-Brandon_Penglase.pdf )