Lion server can't be accessed by Win machines

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by spin498, Jun 2, 2014.

1. spin498 macrumors member

spin498

I'm currently running Lion Server on a Mac Pro 1.1 (which is why I haven't upgraded, because I can't). I have an iMac running Mavericks. The rest of my family use Windows 7. I have the iMac and the Server set up exactly the same for file sharing. I can access the iMac and it's files from my Win 7 machine BUT, not the server. I seem to recall there was some issue with Lion because Apple had changed SMB. I can't find anything indicating if the issue was resolved or if there's an upgrade to Lion's SMB protocols. I believe at the time it was recommended to go to a 3rd party SMB app ( DAVE?). Is that still my only option?

2. PrePressAcrobat macrumors member

Try making the PC (using the "Computer Name")
    a "User" on the MAC.

MSD

3. spin498 thread starter macrumors member

spin498

Ok, tried it. no change. I'm sure this was an issue with Lion and I'm going to go out on a limb and concluded that Apple couldn't be bothered fixing it as they had ML in the Pipeline and then Mavericks. Just like they couldn't be bothered porting Mavericks to work on older MacPros.

I will look into the 3rd party SAMBA APPS.

4. spin498 thread starter macrumors member

spin498

I obviously don't know as much about networking as I thought. What's occurred here is beyond me. I tried SMBup and it completely crashed my network. My Win machines couldn't see my Lion server, as before, but they could no longer see other Win machines on the network. I removed it and got my network back to where it was. I thought about trying the work around to upgrade my MacPro 1.1 to Mavericks but am not in the position to get a new video card. Make a long story shorter, I had a copy of Win Server 2008 and an old PC. So I installed it, thinking, my Win machines could network with it and my Mac and iPad with the Lion Server. I now have it up and running. Here's where it got interesting and I can't explain. Now that Server 2008 is running on my network ALL my machines are visible and connectable from each other.
    So now, I can read all the drives on the Lion Server from my Win 7 PC.