Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hey folks

This is kind of a weird issue and can't seem to find a similar problem elsewhere so I'll do my best to explain. I have an OS X Lion server and when I do a search for a file there are 18 results shown for every one file that all point back to the same single file. There are not 18 copies of these files (I've checked over and over) but the find results show 18 copies - If I roll over each result it points back to the same file, if I select "Show File in Enclosing Folder" they all show the same file in the enclosing folder.

This does not seem to happen with newer files though I can't tell how far back the problem begins.

I am using time machine so I'm not sure if it's showing results from a Time Machine backup but it's very odd and makes for a difficult time finding files when necessary.

Any ideas?

thanks

Kayos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
How many backups do you keep? Those could be the reasons for the extras.

It's tough to say - my backups go back three years so I imagine its going to be more than 18 copies.
[doublepost=1455121880][/doublepost]Im rebuilding the Spotlight index to see if that helps. probably should've done that before posting but I seem to come up with these ideas only after I ask for help :). I'll post my results

Kayos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
In the end it was the Spotlight Index. I forced the system to rebuild the index and searches are showing up as they should now.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.