Lion Server VPN Issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Jaben3421, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,
    Currently I have issues with my lion server VPN. I have read a bunch of other articles online and have enabled every VPN port and forwarded to my server. I use the default configured file and have tried manually configuring it. I made sure the shared secret only consists of letters and numbers. I tried it's public and private host name, along with its IP address. But yet on my MacBook, I tried to connect, it says "connecting" for a few seconds, then just stops, no error. On my iPad & iPhone I try to connect and I get an error saying "The L2TP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Admin." I have tried EVERYTHING! Please try and give me tips! Thanks.

2. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

I have ours working from Hong Kong to abroad and home - I connect constantly from the UK. Can't look right now, but I promise I will send you some info in the next 24 hours!! :))

Sorry I can't be of more help now - gf needs attention!

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just to be sure, you do have the proper credentials and configurations set up on the other side right? What device are you connecting to on the other side?

4. Jaben3421 thread starter macrumors regular

@ FooGooFish: Thanks so much. I really want to get this ready by Tuesday

@ SandboxGeneral: I have the right credentials because I log into the web server and webdav server. I connect to a late 2009 MacMini non server version with Lion Server and a 2.66 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive.

5. dampfdruck macrumors member

That's why there are log files. Instead of trying everything, just look at the log file what the actual error is and then fix it.

6. Jaben3421 thread starter macrumors regular

@ Dampfdruck: When I open the server app, it messes up the webserver, and I have to restart the whole server, so I was trying to keep away from doing that. I guess I'll look into the logs...