LION "show package content" issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ElFabio, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ElFabio macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I noticed that in lion is lacking the right click option "show package content", which is very needed to install some files... anyone knows how to solve it ?

Thanks in advance.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Still there for me. Are you sure the file you're right-clicking on is a package?

3. ElFabio thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, you're right it's still there... I was assuming that a package was a folder !! :confused: I have a mac for 2 days still gotta a lot to learn.

Thank you very much for your kind help. :)

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Glad to be of help!

Well, you're right... kind of.

Basically, a package is a folder that the OS doesn't treat like a folder. An application (always a package) is a folder with all the necessary resources contained inside the folder structure. However, the OS treats it as a single file so that when you double-click it, it launches the application (actually located a few levels deep in the folder structure of the package) instead of simply opening the package contents.

It's a neat way to do things, and is very helpful in keeping most applications as a single file, instead of pieces installed all over the place. Generally, you still get a few supporting files in the Preferences and Application Support folders in the Library, but for the most part it's all contained within the package.