Lion shuts down before I can specify what to do with open applications.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HippoMan, Aug 6, 2011.

1. HippoMan macrumors newbie

In Lion, if I do a Restart or a Shutdown, a dialog box pops up asking me whether or not I want to close certain open applications. But after a couple seconds -- before I can select the appropriate option in that dialog box -- the shutdown sequence continues.

I vaguely remember seeing something about an option in Lion which controls this behavior, and which will delay the shutdown until I have enough time to respond to that dialog box. However, I can't recall where I saw this ... or even whether I actually saw this! :)

Does anyone know what option in Lion that I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.
    .​

2. HippoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

PS: To be clear, the dialog I'm talking about occurs after the initial dialog which asks me if I want to reopen applications after restart. This is a second dialog box during the shutdown sequence which is specific to the given application (for example, Terminal), and which asks if I really want to shut down that application. If I say no, the shutdown is aborted.

In Lion, this second dialog box only stays on the screen for a second or two before it disappears and the shutdown sequence continues. In Snow Leopard, the second dialog box stayed on the screen for a while to give the user enough time to decide whether to select any of its options.

My question here has to do with whether there is a Lion option to tell this second dialog box to remain on the screen for as long as it remained on the screen under Snow Leopard.

Thanks again.
    .​