Lion Sleep Problem Related to MobileMe/iCloud?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ObeseSquirrel, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ObeseSquirrel, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

ObeseSquirrel macrumors regular

I am a recent Mac convert, with a MacBook Pro, mid-2010, 2.6Ghz, and 8GB in RAM. I started with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and upgraded to Lion on the day that it was released. I did not perform a clean install, and would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Though I have seen many complaints about Lion sleep and wake issues, I have not had many until recently. But in the last two weeks, my MacBook has failed to wake from sleep 4 times. The first two times, the MacBook recovered normally (like a regular wake from sleep) after I had pressed the power button. The third time - the day before yesterday - I pressed the power button, and the machine restarted, but without the startup sound (and much faster than the typical Lion reboot. ;)). This morning, the machine again failed to wake, and required a full restart. Each time, all windows from the last session (including MS Word) have resumed fully.

According to the "uptime" stat on my iStat Nano widget, the first two instances were not considered restarts, whereas the last two were. I have checked my Permissions and SMART status with Disk Utility each time this has happened, and found no problems.

I do not believe this is an issue specific to 10.7.2, since I have only had this problem for the last two weeks, and 10.7.2 has been out for more than a month. On November 1, I did enable Mac to sync with my iPhone through iCloud. Additionally, I charge my iPhone each night by plugging it into my computer's USB port, usually while the computer is closed. Supposedly, the phone automatically creates backups whenever I do this.

I'm wondering if any recent iPhone/iCloud communication with my sleeping computer might be causing these problems. To test this, I have just disabled the "Wake for Network Access" setting in my System Preferences. Hopefully, this will fix the problem. I'll keep you guys updated if this persists.

A few questions:

1) Are any of you guys, who are experiencing these issues, using iCloud or MobileMe, with your computer's "Wake for Network Access" enabled?

2) How plausible is it that communication w/ the iCloud while in sleep mode would be causing this problem?

3) Am I losing anything by disabling this feature? I do not share files on my computer other than those on iCloud. Could I enable "Find My Mac" while this feature is disabled for everything else? (I do not currently use Find My Mac.)

4) Besides wake/sleep and security issues, how safe is "Wake for Network Access" for my hard drive? I am a student, who carries my Macbook around, and I always make sure that it has powered down before moving it. (ugh, takes forever...) I really don't like the thought of my computer randomly turning on while I'm doing who-knows-what with it.

Thanks!

2. ObeseSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

It happened again. This time, laptop wouldn't reboot when I pressed the power button, no matter how much I held it down. Then, after opening and closing the lid a couple of times it restarted (after I opened the lid).

This is getting progressively worse and more frequent. A PRAM and SMC reset is in order.

If anybody has any ideas, please respond to this!

(Again, this started some time after activating iCloud, though I'm not sure that it's related. Additionally, Safari has been using more memory the last few days. It's almost as bad as it was under 10.7.1.)