Lion, SMS and iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stofferdk, Jul 15, 2011.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

I will give 50 USD for any application that lets me receive, send and manage texts / SMS on my desktop in Lion. (Of course jailbreaked iOS).

Its getting beyond embarrassing for Apple not offering this feature. I did it with my Nokia in like 2002

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Isn't that what iMessage is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. stofferdk, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011

stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

It was an encouragement to developers, and also to make users realize this essential and awesome feature is still in iOS5... MISSING

iMessage lets you communicate via a chat-like protocol between iMessage users ON the iPhone itself instead of using the text-plan.

What I need is to be able to let my mac send and receive text's whenever my iPhone is within bluetooth range

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I think you have a great idea. I'm sure that someone over at apple also had that idea, and is waiting to implement it in iOS 7 or 8. They can't just add a plethora of features in iOS 5, leaving none for future iOS's.

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

I remember using something like this with my first gen iPhone, needed a JB. Dunno if it's been closed off from working now but will check if I still have it installed when I get home.

7. sauobeatbath macrumors newbie

How afraid should i be of iPhone SMS hack and ehhh, when will apple do something about it.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Actually, you USED to be able to do it. In 10.2 and 10.3, you could send and receive text messages in Address Book. It stopped working after one of the 10.4 point updates and then was totally removed in Leopard.

I wish Apple would bring that feature back now that they have the iPhone.

9. Appel macrumors member

Yeah all this talk about bringing the ios to the mac. And still no good implementation for the phone features on the mac. And no good airplay support for lion. Wake up apple.

10. bushbabywas macrumors member

This is a rather clunky solution, but MyPhoneDesktop provides some useful interoperability between Mac and iPhone that might help...

If you're jailbroken, you could also keep tabs on this BiteSMS forum thread about a possible desktop app.

11. sudosu macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bluephone elite 2. Let's you make calls aswell
    You also don't need to be jailbroken or install anything onto the phone

12. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Doesn't look like you can get BluePhoneElite 2 as a new customer anymore.

13. Jaden10 macrumors member

Jaden10

If the iPhone comes to Sprint, you will be able to integrate it with Google Voice. My Android phone is integrated with Google Voice, so I can text from my Sprint number from my phone, iPad, Mac, and anything else with an internet connection.

14. Hansr macrumors 6502a

That's the one I used. Well version 1 actually I think. Shame it's not available anymore.

15. Appel macrumors member

I use notify pro, jailbreak only, and that gives me growl notifications of iphone sms and mail. But no way to answer to the sms. But good for notification.

I´ve read that bluephone elite never worked with the iphone?

16. AL2TEACH, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

BluePhoneElite 2 was a wonderful program but I had to cry when it didn't do the messages on the desktop with the iphone as it did with a razor phone. hope bluephone comes back with a way to do this again. The program didn't work with an iPhone.

17. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Major bump here, anyone that has some kind of solution here would be great. My phone just sits against my pro all day wanting connectivity.

SMS from Lion would be honestly the best feature to come to Lion if it existed. I wouldn't touch my phone all day long honestly.

18. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

i didnt read all above post but you can send text message with E mail... and it can be done on any computer lol

19. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

what we are trying to achieve here is sending messages from our phones through the computer like it's our phone we're using.

Using an online service is useless.

20. elchemor macrumors member

I looked up all different applications that claims doing so, they all needed to go to the iPhone, and paste the received text you send through the application into the SMS application which actually defeat the purpose (not touching the phone).

i installed veency on my iPhone from cydia, connect to it through vncviewer on lion or SL, and do whatever i need on the phone from the pc !

this could be a solution over wi-fi not bluetooth !

21. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

22. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I do this... sort of.

If you're looking to use your current mobile number, I'm fairly certain that you're SOL because your Mac isn't allowed to send or receive SMS from that number (as far as I know). BUT if you're willing to use a different number for texting and do a little extra legwork to set it up, I have a solution that works wonderfully.

What you will need (in order for this to work seamlessly):
    1. A Google Voice number.
    2. A jailbroken iPhone.
    3. SMS GV Extension for your (jailbroken) iPhone
    4. The official Google Voice app for your iPhone (for push notifications)
    5. VoiceMac for your Mac

Optionally you can also add: biteSMS for your (jailbroken) iPhone to this setup to really get a full feature set.

With this setup you can send/receive SMS to your Google Voice number to both your Mac and your iPhone. Sure this means that you have to give people a different number, but in my experience this has been well worth it. A nice side-effect is unlimited texting for free.