Lion Software Raid

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dlweninger, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dlweninger macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have an 27" Imac with lion and two 3tb Western digital firewire hard drives. One of the hard drives has all my Movies, TV Show, Music and photos on it, the other hard drive is empty. How do I set up Raid Mirroring, and will the data on the one drive be lost when I set it up. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can setup RAID via Disk Utility, but why not use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make a daily (scheduled) backup (clone) of one HDD to the other, which is less fragile than a RAID?

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I concur. If a backup is your primary concern, discretely backing up your drives in a manner such as this is a better idea.

If you are attempting to get more read or write performance out of your equipment (which does not appear to be the case) then a RAID setup could be desireable.

For the record, if you set up software raid, the data on your second hard drive will be lost and replaced with some or all of the information from your other hard drive (exactly how this is distributed depends on whether you choose RAID 0 or RAID 1.)