Lion Software Update vs. Standalone Update

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by arubinst, Aug 17, 2011.

1. arubinst macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I'm about to update Lion to 10.7.1 and I noticed that standalone update weighting 79 MB is already available on Apple's website.

I know these downloads (standalone and combos) target scenarios where several Macs need to be updated, allowing a single download.

Being a long time Mac user, I usually download Combo Updates. I've always felt more confident using the combo rather than letting Software Update automatically determine my delta update. I actually don't have any technical reason for this. I've used automatic Software Updates more than once and never had a problem.

So what are your thoughts on this?
    Just let Software Update do its job or manually download and install the 79 MB update?
    Anyone with some technical background or good/bad experiences on this?

Thanks

2. ivsetiaw macrumors newbie

Just use software update, you will be fine. It is not definitely there for nothing. :)

3. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I guess this is because the standalone download is supposed to support all systems, while the one you get through Software Update is a specific one for your system model or something in that route.

4. arubinst thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys. I finally took the "long" route and downloaded the standalone update (it took 6 sec. to download and just a couple of min to install :rolleyes:)

Cheers!