lion + ssd + optibay + install win7 from usb = ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bossboss, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Bossboss macrumors member

Has anyone found a way to install windows 7 bootcamp from lion using a USB with a ssd + optibay setup?

:confused:

2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I could never get windows to install from a USB drive on snow leopard with my setup, on either drive.

3. seek3r macrumors 6502

4. Bossboss thread starter macrumors member

those links show how to install it prior to lion. im asking if anyone has been able to do this specifically on lion.

i have rEFIt installed, and a bootcamp partition ready to go with my windows 7 64bit loaded on a bootable flash drive. every time i load the usb through refit it just says non-disk. please insert bootable disk or whatever...

anyone?

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Strangely enough, I get the blinking cursor that looks like underscore: _
    It keeps blinking without ever stopping. I think it has to do with the way Lion partitions it's own hard drive for Recovery HD, or it just doesn't want to install Windows 7 from USB. I've followed this instruction: Youtube Link
    I get to the part where it says I can choose the usb drive, and when I do, that underscore thing keeps blinking. Nothing at all. Any fixes?

6. takamine macrumors member

Same problem here for me. I spent the whole day trying to install Windows 7 on my Bootcamp partition (partitioned with Disk Utility) and still can't do it.

I've tried using Parallels to install Windows 7 on the bootcamp partition, changing the MBR through terminal and repairing it in Parallels again but still nothing. I even screwed up the MBR change in terminal too, which resulted in total data loss of my Lion partition (screwed the partition up, had to rebuild it with Disk Warrior). I couldn't recover my files probably because of Lion's awesome encryption. I've decided to leave encryption off until I find a way to get Bootcamp on again :(

7. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Stay tuned or post any new finding on my threads too. I've found some information about Boot Camp Assistant 4.0 and 4.0.1.

8. whooda4 macrumors newbie

When I had lion installed I installed win 7 no problem. I have the optibay(for now) and it went without a hitch.

I did have to select the boot order, just held down option and turned it on. Selected the win 7 disk and that was it. It took much longer for the option screen to come up. Almost 45 seconds but it did.

2010 mbp. I nuked it and went back to snow leopard so no longer have lion. But when I did I constantly switched between win7 and 10.7

9. ArmanUV macrumors member

What about formatting the HD with MBR and restoring the Win7 ISO to a small partition? Does anyone know if this works?