Lion stable on Late 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portcontrol7, Nov 30, 2011.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

I have had much trouble with my Late 2011 MBP running lion. Has anyone else had freezing, inability to soft restart?

2. foxyfabio macrumors member

Sounds like you did not leave enough Disk Space when installing.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Runs Like A Dream

On my late 2011 17" MBP....No issues at all. If you do have plenty of HDD space left, then I would return it, could have a drive on the way out.

Before you do, run Disk utility and Verify the disk, then verify Disk permissions and finally repair disk permissions.

If the problem remains, head on down to the Apple Store.

4. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Been fine here. Been going back to Snow Leopard and Lion on my Late 2011 15inch as well. Ive grown to like Lion, and I havn't gotten a crash yet. Knock on wood.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

So far Lion has been outstanding on my late 2011. Far better than on any of the Macs where I installed it as an upgrade.

6. pat park macrumors 6502a

If he has a late 2011 MBP, it came pre-installed with Lion OSX. Or are you referring to apps he may have installed?

----------

I have a late 2011 MBP 13.3 and it is running like a champ. I did upgrade ram to 8GB and it helped tremendously. If you haven't done this yet, do it asap.

If the problems are persistent and restores, ram upgrades don't help, consider contacting Apple for a Genius appointment. The general vibe I get from most here is that Lion seems to be stable as a preinstalled OS.

FWIW, Lion on my 2010 Mac Mini runs like a champ (originally had SL preinstalled)

7. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Late 2011 13" i5 CPU, Lion preinstalled and with no extras. Nice and stable for me. The odd minor glitch but nothing overly problematic. No lockups. No problems shutting down, booting, sleeping or waking.

I kind of get the impression that a lot of the issues people have with the stability of Lion relate to either trying to run older apps on it or issues relating to having upgraded it from SL, compared with how a clean install behaves.

8. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Just got a Late 2011 15", came with Lion, but put my Intel 320 in it and it's pretty blazing running 10.7.2! No issues whatsoever so far, thing is a beast!

9. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

I have had disk errors, so I'm hopping thats the issue. It is being replaced. So far as Lion goes, I seem to be unable to delete things. For example I am getting emailed alerts to iCal events repeatedly, and even after deleting the event in iCal, it returns. It seems that Lion has caching going on constantly which makes it impossible to delete things/close things permanently. I have the same Safari windows opening every time I boot, even after unchecking restore windows in reset. And I have yet to see my machine boot up after a restart, I have to manually power down and power back up.

I miss Snow Leopard.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Absolutely no issues here with the preinstalled Lion.

Did you use migration assistant or something like that?

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

So, the homeless war veteran with the $3000 MacBook Pro returns.

Do you ever stop complaining?

12. Swain macrumors member

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Oh lol. And I was so stupid to actually reply!