Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I installed 10.7.2 today because I was going to buy an iPhone 4S. So I had a couple of crashes already, no big deal I thought. Except this time my entire Mac froze and it couldn't boot anymore. I was scared cause I don't have Applecare anymore. Luckily I managed to get it booting again cause I know a few tricks.

Back to Snow Leopard for the 3rd time. I had more hope for 10.7.2. It's still a worse OS than Windows 7. :rolleyes:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Really?
What Mac model do you have?
RAM?
Specs?
What were the errors?
Look into the Activity Monitor and the Console Log.
There has to be something else going on.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Really?
What Mac model do you have?
RAM?
Specs?
What were the errors?
Look into the Activity Monitor and the Console Log.
There has to be something else going on.

It crashed when it switched from the 330m to the Intel GPU and complete frooze my computer. I got the 2010 15" MBP so it's well within the recommend specs.

I guess I won't be using iCloud for the iPhone 4S. Lion 10.7.2 is still beta.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have a 2010 15" MBP and I have zero problems. When I first updated to Lion (on day of release) I did have some problems so rather than wait for updates or keep trying to troubleshoot I reinstalled Lion as a fresh clean install and it's been almost perfect ever since.

I heartedly disagree that Lion is beta. While it may not be perfect (no OS is) its been solid for me. If you put a little time in and install it the way I did I'm sure you would get better results. I've read the same thing from many other users who did a fresh installation.

Good luck and hope you had a great holiday!!

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
It crashed when it switched from the 330m to the Intel GPU and complete frooze my computer. I got the 2010 15" MBP so it's well within the recommend specs.

I guess I won't be using iCloud for the iPhone 4S. Lion 10.7.2 is still beta.

It's not really a "Lion" issue, but more of an Nvidia one. If you notice Apple does not use Nvidia cards on any of their new Macs. Nvidia is the most laggiest company in regards to Apple's drivers. Apple has had problems with them for years. I had that same MBP as you did with the 330m card. When using that card your MBP will crash eventually to a black screen. Nvidia seems to be refusing to offer drivers for Lion for people with the 330m cards. If you use GFXcardStatus and keep it manually switched to the Intel HD graphics it will never crash to a black screen.
I know that's not the workaround you want but at this point you're screwed if you have a MBP with the 330m card if you want to run Lion. It's Nvidia's fault. That's why I sold my 15" MBP and I will never buy another Mac with an Nvidia card in the future. I have always had great luck with the ATI cards in all my Macs.
Lion runs beautifully on my i7 iMac with the ATI card. Never crashes, never freezes, very stable, fast and very efficient. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.