Lion stopped booting, twice

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Toreddo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Toreddo macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I have a late 2011 macbook air 11" with Lion. Last month i tried rebooting the system and it shut down but did not want to boot up anymore. It kept loading at the grey load screen forever. I took it to the apple store, there they checked all my hardware and came to the conclusion that my Lion installation was corrupted.

They reinstalled lion through the recovery partition and everything worked fine. Now 15 minutes ago i rebooted my mac and the same problem occurs! Now i am reinstalling lion on my own but i really like to find out what causes this.

The software i mostly use is:
    Safari, Chrome, FireFox, Mail, Coda, Skype, IDLE, Photoshop. Sometimes, use CleanMyMac, i have no evidence, but that is the only application i can imagine of these that would be able to corrupt my os.

I'd like to here what others think, and if other people experienced this problem.

Thank you very much in advance!

Chris

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well if we assume your software is not the issue here, and you can check this in Activity Monitor, then the signs may be pointing to a bad SSD. If it happens after your new install I'd take it back in again.

3. Toreddo thread starter macrumors member

Hey Macman45,

Thanks for your reply, if i would have a bad SSD, would it be possible that apple disk check would give a positive result?

4. rayward macrumors 68000

Toreddo,

I have a very similar problem (see this thread). My iMac hung on booting and I have still yet to figure out what is wrong.

You can use Disk Utility to check/repair your SSD / HDD, either by booting with your Lion disk/USB drive or by Internet Recovery (Cmd-R after the boot chime). I don't have the former, so I was using the latter.

The fact that someone else is having the same trouble makes me nervous.

5. Toreddo thread starter macrumors member

Hey rayward,

I am not sure if it is the same problem because mine actually boots after the installation. :confused:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

My best recommendation is that you completely remove CMM. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: