Lion sucks on this.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPadWorld1912, Aug 23, 2011.

1. iPadWorld1912 macrumors newbie

Alright, so i have a 13'' MacBook Pro with an i5 processor. I just downloaded lion yesterday and it is running EXTREMELY slow. How do I fix this?

-Nick

2. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Try a fresh install. Some people have issues when installing on top of Snow Leopard.

Beyond that, Lion has some noticeable bugs that can make it seem slower than it is. On my machine, for example, the dock magnification is a bit choppy on a cold boot, but this goes away as soon as the machine is put to sleep and reawakened.

3. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Might be running slow as spotlight might be indexing files from scratch.

4. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

it does take a number of hours for a new OS to "learn" your system (indexing, etc.). Give it a couple days. if you're still having problems ... well, that's the boat I'm in (and many others, it seems).

I'm probably going to go back to Snow Leopard until Apple makes Lion truly ready for release.

5. iPadWorld1912 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i do a fresh install?

6. mac jones, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

Geesh, this Spotlight thing is so annoying.

So many people go nuts over this simple thing. The should have warning labels.

I mean, everybody must think they have a problem at first, right?

How would they know? until they come here and say "I'm returning this ", or: "I've installed the OS 5 times and still is slow"

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

8. kolax macrumors G3

9. GuruBhai macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Hi,

I upgraded to the same last week, and till I'm not happy with that.

Touchpad seems like a slower to me on Lion as compared to the previous OS.

Still trying to learn.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Slow as in moving the mouse or responsiveness? See if you can fiddle with the system prefs>trackpad>tracking speed.

11. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

Boot Speed

I, too, have a 2011 MacBook Pro 13". The memory has been upgraded to 8GB. I'm just curious how fast Lion shoot boot on this thing. I'd guess from the Apple logo to the user sign on page it takes 20 - 25 sec. Is this about right?

12. kolax macrumors G3

Boot up speed is determined by the speed of your hard drive. Lion isn't noticeably slower or faster at booting for me.

13. GuruBhai macrumors newbie

Sorry for not to be clear in first post.

I mean earlier if you place 4 fingers and move them upwards, you can see the desktop; it doesn;t happen any longer in Lion.

And

Pictures are not getting rotated with 2 fingers.

14. caen1 macrumors member

System Preferences > Trackpad and check each tab for the settings you want. They are both there. If that doesn't work, try a clean install.

15. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

Fresh install helped me out. I had been getting beachballs and app crashing, but after a clean install of Lion it's all working just fine.

16. GuruBhai macrumors newbie

Its worked like a charm.

17. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I've thought about trying a fresh install but I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. I'm assuming that since I installed it that it's too late to make a bootable DVD or thumb drive. Is there another way to do this? Also, if I were to do a fresh install but then put all my stuff back on from Time Machine would it really act like a fresh install since I'd be returning it to a previous state? Sorry if these are stupid questions, just not yet up to date on Time Machine. If it works like the stupid Windows restore points then it would seem that a fresh install followed by installing your stuff from Time Machine would just put you back in the same situation. An I completely wrong here?

As for the gestures, I actually like the new ones in Lion. There seem to be a lot of people who think they're broken. LOL! Not broken, just changed. The new ones I like I kept, the ones I didn't I changed in preferences. I love the trackpad so much more than a traditional mouse, though, I think it would be impossible to make me not like it at all!

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Fresh install meaning, you're installing the OS from the get go; now you can get the installer again; go to the download link in the App store, hold option (I think that's it) and click it and it should allow you to re-download the file.

After you do that, you can create the boot disk and go from there.

Of course, you could just go back to SL using the disks and before doing anything with the fresh SL, update the machine to Lion.

Then use time machine to transfer the files over; it only copies the files, not the OS, so you can use a TM update from a SL machine straight to Lion if you wanted.

I hope this helps.

Personally, I'm sticking with SL until Lion deems itself worthy of the time to upgrade.

Obviously the problems are rare but I don't feel like being bothered with a slower machine due to the drastically overdone UI updates.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

restart the computer

20. slim tim slide macrumors newbie

I guess the question many would like answered is - is it actually a good idea NOW to upgrade from snow leopard to lion, and will it make any of my perfectly workable apps etc unuseable? or is it entirely a good thing? I don't care about finger biz on the pad at all... give me a mouse anyday. i'm simply worried that previous software may not work - i went through that nightmare when we went to OSX, thanks a bunch of apples for that little rip off.... im using a 15" macbook pro with I7 processor running 10.6.8 (refurb if it makes a difference...)

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Might be spotlight indexing... it took mine about 20-30 minutes to complete during which it ran very slow but then it was better (much faster than SL).

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Generally, the applications will work; although I am seeing a lot of updates in the Mac App store with programs just now getting the support for Lion.

I'd say to wait; if you don't want the features that it provides, it wont' do anything but cause possible complication.

It doesn't make the machine faster or more efficient; if anything, the UI updates will tax your machine more than SL. I've read countless reviews and guides on Lion that state that lion, overall, is heavier than SL and taxes the machine more, causing drops in performance and battery life, even if minimal.

I'm staying on SL as long as I can; or at least until Lion deems itself worthy.

23. caen1 macrumors member

Just to be clear, support for Lion means support for new features like full-screen support or auto save, not making the applications work. If they run on Snow Leopard, they run on Lion.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Unless ppc.

25. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I know, but what's the point of being on Lion when the apps don't have Lion support? You might as well stay on SL.

Ah, I guess I did word it as if they didn't work, didn't mean that.