Lion + swapfile?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Peppery, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Peppery macrumors newbie

Peppery

Hey there guys,

I ripped my iMac 27" apart yesterday and installed an SSD and 32GB of RAM. It's amazing, just in case anyone was wondering!

[​IMG]

After installing a fresh copy of Lion and my apps I noticed I was using 50GB of space on the SSD. Cue a double take and a quick search with Daisydisk shows that my swapfile is taking up 35gb.

My question is:
    a) is it advisable to disable the swap completely? Someone mentioned they did it without issue, however everything else I've seen says not to. I'm not going to use nearly all 32GB of RAM in the foreseeable future.
    b) failing removing it completely, is it possible to move it to the internal HD somehow? I found some instructions online but I wasn't sure if it was Lion-compatible or not.

Thanks!

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

I had the same issue it is not the swapfile is the sleepimage file (safe sleep) in the same folder (vm) which has the size of your ram delete it with no danger.

3. Peppery thread starter macrumors newbie

Peppery

Looking again you are completely right! The sleepimage is 34.3GB. If I delete that, will my iMac no longer go to sleep? Or can I move it?

4. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Nothing like that just delete it.

5. simsaladimbamba

6. Peppery thread starter macrumors newbie

Peppery

Thank you once again! Looks like a simple 'sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/OtherVolume/sleepimage' will let me keep the "new style" and store it on the hard drive. Excellent. Thanks!