Lion takes ages to boot up, log back in from standby

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nanoboy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. nanoboy macrumors member

Jan 30, 2008
    Edinburgh, United Kingdom
    I cannot stand it much longer, been on Lion since its launch. It is not the Mac experience I have been used to from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

There is a lot of waiting in Lion, on my mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro.

- Boot up feels like it's back to Win XP.

- After log in with password, menubar items (I don't have many) and the whole system takes ages till it's ready for me to click on stuff and get to work.

- When I'm away from computer and the system requires a password for me to log back in, the log in page doesn't even appear. I have to manually use the mouse cursor to "brush" away the frozen screen to reveal the screen areas where I can type in my password to log back in.

- Launching apps generally takes longer.

- Not to mention Safari, where it's not uncommon I have 10+ tabs open at the same time, sometimes even more, it takes an eternity when the system restores from standby or when I log back in from time out.

I have disabled "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" in System Preference, but it doesn't help much really.

Anybody else experiencing similar, or able to offer solutions?
  2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2011
    From boot to "actual" usability I'm at about 2 minutes, even with the reopen windows toggled off on the shutdown screen. Compared to Snow Leopard which was just under 60 seconds that's twice as long. I might get a desktop in 70 seconds but Lion keeps stuttering and choking so you might as well get a cup of coffee.

So... the solution I'm told is to just let the mac sleep. But that only works for a few days because you need to do a clean boot just to flush out all the system quirks that piled up.

Granted... I'm using a 5400rpm HDD and Lion (in true iOS fashion) is designed for Flash/SSD memory.
  3. pyrex macrumors member

Jan 11, 2003
    SSD takes about 12 seconds from cold boot loading everything from prior sessions :cool: