Lion taking longer to login?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobertsonCrusoe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

is it just me or when you turn on your computer and type in your password it takes significantly long to load to the desktop then snow leopard?

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

My 27in i5 iMac loads much faster. Also the bluetooth connects much faster before login too.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I don't know what you mean by "significantly longer" but it does seem to take longer. Under Snow Leopard, my MBP took about 3 sec to login and fully load the Menubar, the dock and all other desktop items; Under Lion that increased to at least 5 sec.

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

It loads much much faster for me on Lion. The menubar and dock popup almost immediately, whereas it was a good 10-15 seconds on Snow Leopard.

5. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

on my 13' macbook pro 2.3ghz intel core i5 4gb ram, it takes about 3 seconds to get from completely off to the login screen, which is fine. but after i type in my password it takes around another 15 seconds to get all the icons loaded on the desktop (it was around 5 on snow leopard). do use think it could be the start up applications i have when i log in the account? it is very similar to the ones i had on snow leopard but still a few more.

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

How is that possible?? I have the exact same model and it takes ~40 sec (used to take 30-35 sec under Snow Leopard) to boot to the login screen.

7. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

i just retested it and it actually took approximately 10 seconds to get to log on screen, it just seemed faster. And like 50 seconds to get from that to desktop with everything loaded. Is that the normal speed for this computer? getting to the login screen is fine, it's just once i type in password it seems to take a while to load desktop. how long does it take to get from your login screen to account desktop?

8. talmy, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

talmy macrumors 601

talmy

With Resume active, Lion will take longer since it has to restart all the applications you had running when it was shut down.

However there have been reported problems with long boot times caused by various processes hanging during boot. The fix has been to either do a clean install of Lion (rather than an upgrade) or study the system logs and fix the offending processes. I, for one, had 45 second boot times on a MacBook Air which I tamed by turning off the Network Account Server setting. I'm looking at 10.7.1 resolving the problems.

When properly running, Lion boots no slower than Snow Leopard.

See this long thread on this subject: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194587

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

:confused:
    Do you have an SSD installed? 10 sec is ridiculously fast to boot OS X on an HDD (on a Macbook anyway)

10. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

No just 320 GB SATA Disk HD. on a macbook pro or macbook? i got macbook pro.

11. RobertsonCrusoe thread starter macrumors member

do you mean that "reopen windows when logged back in" box? i think i normally untick the box and turn it off but sometimes i might forget. do you know how to make it so it is not automatically selected? yea i was going to do clean install after reading that thread but i don't have bigger enough usb. is it possible to do clean install without usb, harddrive or dvd?