lion taking too long to download

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kingofdust, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Kingofdust macrumors newbie

So I got a base retina yesterday, it was preopened and used as a demo by the store so when I first went in to pick it up the kid behind the counter had to wipe it and make sure that it was restored to factory. So I went back an hour later and the computer was back in the box and ready to go, the guy told me the only thing left was to reinstall lion.

So I get home and follow the menus to install lion and the progress bar shows up and the download starts. I don't have great Internet but its not too bad, but the download comes up with 76 hours until completion. It's been about 20 hours now and the download is showing 14 hours left so it came down a bit but looking online this is a 3 hour download tops. So I am not sure if I picked the wrong hard drive to install too or if the kid messed things up when he wiped it or if my Internet is just that bad.

I installed to the main 250 gig hard drive.

Any help or reassurance would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Might be your Internet. Don't worry, it will download.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Well if it says the download is taking that long... It is.

Your internet connection must not be quite as fast as you thought. That or you have an issue with your wireless internet. Are you far from the actual wireless transmitter? (I'm assuming you're connected wirelessly) So your home network could also be partially at fault. It's unlikely a defective MacBook would cause this type of issue.

4. Kingofdust thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah like I said my Internet isn't great. I dont think the machine is faulty, just a bad job wiping it.

5. biohead macrumors 6502

Do you know how fast your internet connection is speed-wise?

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Lion is 3.76 GB. If it takes 76 hours then it would mean that it downloads on average at 13.74 KB/s (110 Kbit/s).

Considering it took faster than expected to download, let's say it actually takes 30 hours then it would mean your download went on average at 34,81 KB/s (279 Kbit/s).

Do you usually get that kind of speed when you download?

When I download anything from Apple servers I max my 8Mbit/s connection.

7. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I would take it back and get them to reinstall it for you with their internet.

76 hours is way to long. :eek:

8. traumuhhtize macrumors member

Agreed.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yeah, just go back and have them download it over their connection. Or have them do it from a USB drive.