Lion thumb drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by espo774, Oct 6, 2013.

1. espo774 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I can't seem to find a definitive answer. My sister just gave me her 2008 unibody macbook. It's currently running 10.5 leopard on it, now the question is if I buy the lion thumb drive on eBay, will I be able to put it right on the macbook, or will I be forced to buy the snow leopard cd and install that first? I am upgrading the ram 4gb as well. Thanks in advance!

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Make your own usb

I would suggest creating your own usb of lion unless you really think it is cheaper to go through eBay (which may or maynot work). There are plenty of instructions online to create a bootable usb drive using disk utility. The basics are to download lion from the App Store, cancel the automatic install screen that pops up, navigate to applications, find "install Mac OS lion" and click show contents, go to shared support, you should find a dmg file in there. Using disk utility perform a restore to transfer the dmg file to an empty usb drive. If you get confused check google for answers... There are literally tons of tutorials there. Good luck.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can straight from Leopard to Lion.

4. Saltymac macrumors member

I bought one back a while ago for about $36 - they look goofy when you open package but mine worked fine. It is hard to get a download of Lion from Apple - you have to go thru several hoops and emails.