Lion + Time Machine Back Up

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by taylor200588, Jul 20, 2011.

1. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

Just updated to Lion, before I did I made a back up via time machine in Snow Leopard and went fine, now I'm trying to back up and its saying "Preparing Back-up ...." and not going any further or its just taking its sweet time!!

Any pointers?!?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I am also having the same problem with my external firewire enclosure.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Mine took its "own sweet time". The first backup after upgrading to Lion was ~7GB -- not small.

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Mine is working now too, seems to also be doing a default backup of 7GB. Just be patient with it, I imagine it should start working eventually as mine did.

5. TrickyRick macrumors member

I have the problem with it saying that my NAS disk does not support the required AFP features.

Anyone know if there's a workaround?

6. mtehonica macrumors regular

+1

I backup to a Windows Server 2008 box and hope that this is still possible or at least there is another command line option to enable time machine to use SMB network shares.

7. tdar macrumors 6502a

Sadly you and Rick will learn that there is not a way to back up using Time Machine to a Windows Server or a Linux based NAS at this time. The Linux Nas can be updated to the newest version of Nettalk,it is believed that will resolve this. Both Drobo and Symbology have stated that this is coming. For us Win Server users we are just out of luck. Go get yourself a Time Capsule.

8. mtehonica macrumors regular

Sold my Time Capsule once I setup my Windows Server! Booooo to Apple for basically forcing us to buy a Time Capsule. Does anyone know if Lion Server has some type of Time Machine Server built into it? Could you install that on one Mac in the house with an external drive and share it to all other Macs?

9. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

10. mtehonica macrumors regular

What? This thread has nothing to do with the speed of time machine backups.

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

12. tdar macrumors 6502a

You could use any Mac running lion (or Snow Leopard) to act as a TM server, does not have to be Lion Server. All that is required is a AFP 3.3 or newer file share on a volume that is formatted with a Mac OS file system (HFS or HFS+, or XSAN)

13. iCheese macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme with an external USB hard drive hooked up to it. I have the external divided into two partitions, one of which I had been using successfully for a wireless Time Machine backup.

Now, whenever Time Machine attempts to make a backup, it will stop after a while of "preparing backup", and disconnect my Mac from my Airport Extreme. I am forced to manually reconnect to the Airport to regain my internet connection. I am hoping that this is fixed soon.

14. portishead macrumors 65816

Synology just released DSM 3.2 with Lion - Time Machine support. Apple has updated AFP so your NAS company will have to update it's firmware before TM will be enabled.

15. Gorki247 macrumors member

I'm also getting an AFP error with TM and a MyBook Live. According to WD staff on the forums, Apple have made changes to AFP which will require updates to Netatalk. WD have an update in development and are expected to release it in August. source

I assume the same issue would affect any backup drive that isn't made by Apple.

Edit: Like portishead said

16. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

mine actually went all the way and then got stuck on indexing backup now i'm trying again hoping it works normally but i have a long wait to go :(

17. Scottb8888 macrumors newbie

Link station and time machine

All three of my macs were backing up to my link station. I upgraded the mini and now it does not backup. I send an inquiry to the link station folks and have not gotten a reply.

18. mtehonica macrumors regular

The primary reason I liked backing up to my Windows Server 2008 box was because I had 2 disks in RAID1 and would take 1 offsite. Every week I bring 1 drive back, let the mirror rebuild and then take the disk offsite again. This way there is offsite backup that isn't more than a week old given something was to happen to my house. With a Time Capsule, you don't have this option. Guess I'll be buying an external 2 disk RAID1 setup to connect to my iMac and then share it so all Macs in the house can backup to it.

19. Dagege macrumors newbie

Time Machine backup on Synology DS110j working!

After upgrading to Mac OSX Lion just like for everyone else my Time Machine backup stopped working displaying the message about lack of support for AFP. I went to Synology website, pulled DSM 3.2 beta and upgraded. After this I was able to hook Time Machine to my 110j, but it seemed like it got stuck on "indexing". Just be patient, let it run! I let the computer (Mac Air) run for about an hour or so, and bingo! The indexing finished and not the Time Machine is making a backup. Yes, it is huge, in my case 8.72GB, but my guess is that the Time Machine sees my MacAir with new OSX as a new machine and redo everything from scratch. I am hoping the subsequent backups will be smaller and faster!

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My Time Machine backups are VERY slow after updating to Lion - it's annoying... Not only are they slower than normal, i'm noticing that the backup sizes are surprisingly large.