Lion- Time Machine backup too often

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

Interestingly in Lion I have a "!" mark in my Time Machine and BACKUP DELAYED message after just finishing the backup 1:30 hour ago. I've never had this in SL so soon. And for this 1:30 hour I didn't do anything on machine except internet browsing. Why does it require me to connect my TM so often?

After I connected it's backing up 122mb worth of nothing! Wow!!!! So it backs up my internet activity or something? LOL

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I've had my time capsule backup 15 gigs of nothing after leaving the machine unused for a couple days (so no changes on the drive at all!), and then as it finished immediately start on another batch of 15 gigs. I think the damn thing is borked, it's backing up stuff that doesn't need backing up.

It's also bringing my MBP out of sleep mode to start backups of...nothing. Well, it's backing stuff up because I hear the harddrive spin up inside the time capsule, but again since the lappy was sleeping there's been no changes. Rather annoying this is, I have to say!

3. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

4. smeg36 macrumors regular

I've noticed Time Machine backing up to my Time Capsule far more often too. I haven't checked how often, or how much data, but it seems like ever time I look, Time Machine is backing up again. Sometimes right after it's completed a backup. This is all since installing Lion.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

No, I'm still on Snow Kitty whatsitscalled. :) 2011 13" MBP, in case it matters but I don't think so...

6. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting...so I'm not only one with Lion with this very frequent backups...once again, after a backup just about 30 minutes past and TM again has "!" and BACKUP DELAYED. very strange....

7. gregjb macrumors newbie

I am so glad I'm not the only one having this issue. Within a few minutes or hours after I complete a backup, the exclamation point comes back and it says Backup delayed.

8. digiphantom macrumors regular

I'm also getting the backup delayed after having backed up an hour ago. This was after the upgrading to Lion. I don't see a preference to change how often to do a backup or be reminded.

9. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

So with these frequent backups my 1TB drive will be full in what like 2 weeks? Or it's a glitch of Lion....

10. evolute8 macrumors member

i get the ! symbol in time machine on lion every few hours as compared to few days on SL..

11. jaimedorado macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and it even says nothing about 'last backup'.

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I think this is to do with the autosave feature of Lion? Their is an option for locked documents to with this in Time Capsule preferences.

13. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you please explain in more details this? I got tired to see BACKUP DELAYED every 30 minutes or so....How can I change it so it won't ask me to backup so frequent?:)

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I don't know how you turn it off I'm afraid? I just know it autosaves a document etc as you type it, and it then keeps each save I think so you can revert back to them? So I'm guessing Time Machine backs all that up and catalogues it all?

Maybe best of asking in the Lion forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

15. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502