Lion 'Time Machine' NAS Device (Not time capsule)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MyAppleWorld, Sep 4, 2011.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Hey

I was wondering if anybody knew of which NAS's support Time Machine on Lion?

I heard some NAS devices won't work on Lion for Time Machine unless they have been updated by firmware.

I have had a look at QNAP 210/12 and Buffalo Duo but it's unclear if the new requirements in Lion work with Time Machine.

thanks

2. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Some ReadyNAS boxes do support Lion but, as you say, require the upgrde of the firmware.

Given my experience with the low-end ReadyNAS Duo (usable with Lion only with a firmware beta upgrade), I would say that if updating firmware isn't an attractive prospect, then possibly a Linux-based NAS isn't going to be much fun.

I find myself upgrading firmware, squeezecentre (I have a Squeezebox Boom music player) and the iTunes server software nearly every month and find it quite frustrating. The initial set up was also not entirely pain free. I'll consider getting the Time Capsule in a few months just so i don't have this constant battle.

3. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

The reason we want 3rd party NAS is because it's cheaper and would also like RAID 1. We have two machines, 1 macbook and 1 windows and will need a seperate store each.

Previously did time machine on NAS frequently break? e.g. after OS X patches/updates?

4. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

The latest Qnap firmware (v3.5) is out and meant to be fully working with Time Machine. Synology is currently in beta with it's Time Machine compatible firmware although I suspect a full release is imminent!

5. Broken Hearted macrumors newbie

Synology's beta software does allow time machine back ups. Mine is backing up to my Synology as we speak. This "beta" has been rocked solid with no problems with it...