Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frydrych

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Sweden
Hi guys

I ran into something I haven't been able to find a solution to. My hard drive crashed but didn't think of it until I got my computer back with clean install of Snow Leopard on since I had it backed up with time machine.

Now to the problem. I had Lion installed before and have loads of stuff that I don't manually want to transfer back. I want to reinstall Lion from time machine. How do I do that?

After the hard drive crashed and I couldn't get into Lion anymore I got into a repair console with the option to restore from time machine backup but I can't seem to find my way back there.

Much appreciated if you guys can help out.

Thanks

Fredrik

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Hi guys

I ran into something I haven't been able to find a solution to. My hard drive crashed but didn't think of it until I got my computer back with clean install of Snow Leopard on since I had it backed up with time machine.

Now to the problem. I had Lion installed before and have loads of stuff that I don't manually want to transfer back. I want to reinstall Lion from time machine. How do I do that?

After the hard drive crashed and I couldn't get into Lion anymore I got into a repair console with the option to restore from time machine backup but I can't seem to find my way back there.

Thanks

Fredrik

As you know, Time Machine is an handy feature/app for small stuff, but I would never trust it for a full restore and there's a lot on the net against doing that, especially if it's shared info with a Windows network, or if it's financial information.

For backup on your scale, I would first try consulting an Apple genius techie, and for the most part a "full restore", while possible, is not the main purpose of Time Machine.

Though I do mostly Windows techie work, I would treat the situation with the "newness" of Lion like any MS Windows product, with lots of bugs and unknowns right now, and manually restore what you have to manually restore. I know it's a pain but it's safer this way. After a Lion update or two, things may be different, but just play it safe. I hope this helps.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi guys

Thanks

Fredrik

Well, you could try putting in your SL disc, and see if it will let you restore from that. If not, clean install SL, and then install lion. Then use migration assistant to bring your stuff over. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's the only way at present.

I do recommend if you are going to do this, make a bootable DVD or memory stick of lion from the appstore download, it will save you a ton of time next time.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I do recommend if you are going to do this, make a bootable DVD or memory stick of lion from the appstore download, it will save you a ton of time next time.

This is a good course of action. Many of us Apple fans go through life thinking nothing Microsoft-like will happen to us, but do keep a bootable version of Lion off the computer as a backup.

Lion will get, as I read, past its teething problems. :)

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
This is a good course of action. Many of us Apple fans go through life thinking nothing Microsoft-like will happen to us, but do keep a bootable version of Lion off the computer as a backup.

Lion will get, as I read, past its teething problems. :)

Yeah, I hope soon. It's very annoying

frydrych

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Sweden
Thanks, I'll try the migration assistant but I'm still wondering about the option I got that was something like "Restore your Lion installation from Time Machine". I didn't try it then since the hard drive was making a lot of painful noises...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.