Lion to Backup Disk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jji7skyline, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jji7skyline, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Basically, I want a proper CD to boot from if something goes wrong... and I've already installed Lion. I have Snow Leopard on CD already... Any suggestions?

Would downgrading to SL, redownloading Lion, burning the install file to a disk, and re-upgrading work? Or does the App Store only let you download Lion once :/

When I go to App Store to re-download the install file, it just says [installed] :(

2. Nextitsolutions macrumors newbie

Lion on disk

hi there

try this, it is how i did it

1.Use Finder to locate the Mac OS X Lion installer, right-click and select "Show Package Contents."

2.Find the SharedSupport folder and look for a file named "InstallESD.dmg." This is the Lion Boot Disc image.

3.Copy the "InstallESD.dmg" file to another folder, such as your desktop.
    Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

4.Select the "InstallESD.dmg" copy as the image to burn, insert a DVD, and in a few minutes, you will have a brand new Lion Boot Disc.

Hope this helps

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That only works if you haven't already installed Lion which he clearly has done. Once you install lion that installer deletes itself and there's no way to get it back unless someone has put the file online or something.

4. jji7skyline thread starter macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

It seems I can re-download it from my Apple account using any computer that doesn't have Lion already! Thanks for the help :)