Lion to date program failure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Richdmoore, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Sorry, the title should be: Lion up to date program failure. If a mod can edit the title it would be appreciated.

I purchased a new iMac the end of June, and tried to use apple's web site to get my free copy of Lion. It refused to accept the serial number as eligible.

After searching the various links, I found the web form you need to fill out so they can try and validate the purchase. It's very annoying that it didn't just work.

I did purchase this from a retail apple store, so I am confident this will eventually get resolved, but annoying at the same time.

(The best I can figure, the original purchase was rang up wrong (without my free printer rebate.). The retail employee got so confused I told him to simply return the computer, then sell it to me again as a separate transaction. That must have confused apple's up to date redemption system.)

2. Petrichor, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Petrichor macrumors newbie

Posted this in another thread too but:

It seems that the problem is simply due to the servers being swamped on the up-to-date-page (too many people requesting at once). Ironic, since the actual OS itself has been set up to download extremely smoothly, but some people (in the up-to-date-boat) can't get to that point :D

Just in case anyone else has this problem, your serial number, etc, is probably valid, and in the worst case scenario you could call them, update now by paying, and then have them give you a refund within 24 hours. But for now, I would just wait, and try again in a little while. Either way, don't pay for no reason :)

Oh, and got this info from calling them. There's usually a credibility issue on MacRumors. Sigh.

3. Eampiart macrumors newbie

Thanks, this is very good news, I was a bit worried... Though, I was wondering why can't they provide a reliable start for this... :/ Would have been good to upgrade immediately :) And I guess I'll have to wait for them to validate it, right?

4. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the advice. I will keep trying the apple store link, I already submitted the documents, whichever works first is fine by me.

Who knows, maybe I will end up with 2 codes! :-D. (Joking of course.)

5. Cena5401 macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with apple because i too have a new iMac they replaced and was having some iWork issues as well. I tried the upgrade as you did and got the same thing. I told the guy from Apple that and he stated that it has nothing to do with me or my computer. The servers are swamped and this is something they did not anticipate happening. He says it should resolve itself, but in case it does not they have someone working on it.

I was told to give it a shot again around 1PM my time (I am on PST time), if it still did not work to call them back for an update. So we will get it, it is just a matter of letting all of the other people that jumped on it first thing, get done and out of the way.

6. Cena5401 macrumors newbie

Validation should be immediate. Although they still tell you it could take up to 24 hours to get the App store code.

7. yaoooo macrumors newbie

works now!!!

i got the same problem, the serial not being accepted. just gave it a try few seconds ago and now it's working!!! got the code immediately after submitting.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can edit the title yourself, using this tip.

9. gmans46 macrumors regular

can i get the link to where i put in my serial number?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. andrew8404 macrumors regular

I had no issue with it. In fact I bought my computer on June 4th and pissed I was two days before the cut off. I called Apple last week for another issue and asked if I could get Lion for free. Luckily, for me my computer wasn't registered yet so she gave me a purchase date of the 9th. So I woke up this morning and punched in the serial number and was approved right off the bat! Downloading now and only have and hour and a half left in my slow dsl connection.

12. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Still not working for me. Is there a phone number I can call instead of waiting for apple to take the time and review my paperwork?

13. fireheart347 macrumors newbie

For me, its asking for billing information, however it says that it is free. I received the $100 dollar gift card, but it doesn't have the Card number and Pin number like it shows. I don't want to give a credit card. HELP!

14. Cena5401 macrumors newbie

No number as if you call Apple they will tell you to wait it out. I just got it to work so try again and soon it will work. Now I had to do it about 3 times, so when you get it to work if it takes you to the apple store submit again. The final screen should ask you to verify your security code of the credit card you use on file. It will tell you that your purchase is free as I have double checked that and nothing went through. Just an added measure of security.

Once you click submit, you will have your code right away at the bottom of the receipt

15. Cena5401 macrumors newbie

If you do not have the card it is asking for, there is a button for change billing method. Hit that and you should be able to input another card or a gift card. You will not be charged just security.

16. KristenM macrumors regular

I spoke to AppleCare who said they know there's a problem, it appears to only be with custom configurations. The serial numbers are not recognized as valid. She transferred me to the App Store where the woman I spoke to knew of no problem and was of no help what-so-ever. She put me on a hold to talk to AppleCare who confirmed this is a known problem. I was told to clear my cookies and try again. Obviously that didn't work. Then she said "well no biggie, you have until Aug 19th"...wonder how Steve would feel about that response?!
    In addition, I cannot log into Apple support. It says my account cannot be created....every time I try to log in.
    I'm having my first major frustrated at Apple moment and I don't like it :(

17. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Mine was the stock high end 21.5" imac. So either I have a separate problem, or it's not true that just custom configurations are affected.

18. fireheart347 macrumors newbie

Where is this button? I do not see it?

19. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Day 3 not being able to get a code.... On the phone with apple now...