Lion To ML help

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by soccervalle999, Feb 1, 2013.

1. soccervalle999 macrumors newbie

I recently put a crucial m4 128gb ssd into my late 2008 macbook as well as added a 1tb hdd in place of the optical drive. I love it. I am thinking of upgrading to ML however I'm not sure how to go about doing it. The ssd has my apps and things and the HDD has my user things. Do I need to install ML on both the ssd and the HDD? Or can I install only on the sad? I have no idea what to do and I am nervous because I don't want to lose my data. Not to mention I have read about bad things that have happened to people's computers after this same task I plan on doing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I take it you have your applications and OS on the SSD. In that case, you can just upgrade to ML on the SSD. But I would keep a backup anyways, can help a lot.

3. simsaladimbamba

You only need to upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion once, and the installer will use the SSD to install to.

And backing up before such a task is advised, specially if you want to revert the upgrade. Backing up is generally advised though, especially with not easily recreate-able data.
    Get an external HDD and either use Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to make periodical backups.

4. soccervalle999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for such quick responses. Yes my apps and os are on the ssd. I remember when I cloned my old hd to install on my ssd, I used carbon copy cloner and it asked if I wanted to make a restore partition. I did that and am wondering if that is still on the ssd when I update. Or do I not even worry about that? Also, should I do a clean restore to ml or should I just upgrade to ml from lion?

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Just backup your drives, download Mountain Lion from the App Store and open the installer. It will take care of the rest, everything will be alright.