Lion to Mountain Lion: Do we lose any features or tools?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by dendowling, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dendowling macrumors newbie

I have Lion now and plan to upgrade to ML.

Are there any features, tools, apps etc from previous OS's that are no longer available in Mountain Lion? Just wondering if there's anything useful that we lose in ML or anything that would be crippled or slower.

Let me know if there's a web article somewhere that covers this.

Thanks.

I'm using a MacBook Pro Core i7 2.66ghz with 8GB ram and SSD.

2. yellowbunny macrumors member

You can't see you battery time remaining any longer.... very annoying!

3. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

There's an app for that.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

What is it?

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes you can, by clicking on the battery icon once.

But on the other hand, the black/grey semi transparent subtitle box in iTunes and QuickTime is gone :)

6. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

The one that looks like the pause/play fast forward etc. box, but for subtitles?

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

8. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Free app in the App Store called "Battery Health." Not only does it give you time remaining, but it has time remaining for several hypothetical activities.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

One thing I hate is that they replaced the old Display icon in the menu bar with an Airplay icon. One of the main uses of my MBA are Powerpoint presentations, and I hate fumbling around trying to get the screen to show up on a projector while the audience is waiting. In Lion, I could just click the icon to quickly access the "Detect Displays" function and various resolutions. Now I have to open the Display pref pane and remember to press Command to reveal the hidden Detect button and click "Scale" to enable custom resolutions. :rolleyes:

I understand that Apple wants to move on to wireless Airplay, but the reality is that 99% of the projectors in meeting rooms and presentation venues still use analog VGA. Please bring back the old icon, at least as an option!

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

You sure its not disabled in the Display Prefs panel? In previous versions you had to check a box to have the displays icon show up on the menu bar.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

Nope, it's gone. The only thing you can enable/disable is the Airplay icon.

12. Greencardman macrumors 6502

I can't find Dashcode, or at least it wasn't updated to a version that works in ML.

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yeah I wonder what the point of removing that was

14. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Might be just me, but I've noticed that the Podcast apps in the utilities folder are gone (not like I ever used them)

15. vnle macrumors 6502

are you serious? that's gone?? I've been looking for an RSS feed reader for about a week now but haven't found any to my liking. I need one that can keep the feeds/articles for an indefinite amount of time - much like mail. One that can even import the existing feeds (and all the articles as well). The best one for my needs was mail's ... look like I won't be updating to ML after all.

BLAH :mad:

16. hafr macrumors 68030

The box that covered the whole bottom part of the screen to make the subtitles more visible.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

I don't know if it's just me or if they actually removed the option, but right clicking on a file I no longer see the option to e-mail the file.

Ah, forget about it. They just moved it from the bottom to the sub menu "share"...