Lion to SL-- can't install Win7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by electricdreams, Aug 31, 2011.

1. electricdreams macrumors member

previously I had Lion with Wn7 together, was not happy with lion so went back to SL, by inserting disk, booting into setup, using DiskU. to format drive and install SL back..

so now back in SL, loading bootcamp, but cant install Win, says

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
    The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

any advice, thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Backup your SL drive.

Boot into SL install disk. Format, reinstall.

Restore data onto drive.

Use bootcamp.

3. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Is your drive partitioned? Is your HD re-formatted with a single volume. Clearly, IMO, you need to reformat the drive to a single and then re-install SL.=, and everything in a full clean install.

I made a partitioned drive so that I could have both snow leopard and Lion on it but that won't work for boot camp. When I tried to load boot camp it told me the same crap.

IMO, you should spring for a an older version of VMware on ebay(3.01 would work--for about $60) and then you don't need to boot into boot camp, and you can have a partitioned drive, and you can run your PC apps right out of the SL interface. Mine are in the dock, and when they are booted I can't tell them from my mac apps. I'm careful not to have Explorer on VMware so that the apps can't pick up some stupid pc virus.

As a point, though, you will need at least 8 gb ram to run VMware along all your regular apps... On my iMac, VM is using 737 MG of RAM just to sit there doing nothing(I have 12 gb RAM, so its no big deal---8 more available at Crucial for about $50). Of course, if you only want to run it when you need to 4 gb is probably fine.

Hope this helps.