Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
My non-Apple SSD has native trim support & I am pretty sure it's doing its job as I have transferred several terabytes to/from it and my benchmarks have remained stable.

TomRadfahrer

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
As I understand TRIM it increases the number of erases some sectors will see (the so-called write amplification). It depends upon the controller algorithms but with bad controllers the same sector is erased over and over again and lifetime of the SSD is reduced significantly. Therefore someone should have tested carefully, whether TRIM is a good thing for a certain drive or not. If your preferred computer supplier does not recommend TRIM for all possible SSD you should consider this as a good hint, not as a trick.

As I said earlier, SSD technology is not mature. I remember the first days of hard discs, when you needed a driver in your OS who was aware of the specific model of hard disc. Today you can connect any SATA hard disc to any SATA motherboard, but it will take some more years until SSD is as mature as this.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
As I understand TRIM it increases the number of erases some sectors will see (the so-called write amplification). It depends upon the controller algorithms but with bad controllers the same sector is erased over and over again and lifetime of the SSD is reduced significantly. Therefore someone should have tested carefully, whether TRIM is a good thing for a certain drive or not. If your preferred computer supplier does not recommend TRIM for all possible SSD you should consider this as a good hint, not as a trick.

With normal usage, SSD's will last at least 5 years and likely closer to 10. how long do you keep your drives before upgrading?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
How do you know TRIM support is "iffy"? I used the TRIM enabler on my new 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 drive and it caused lockups every 1-2 minutes for about 10 seconds. That's why it's not enabled by default.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
FYI I have a Intel 320 120GB SSD in my Macbook Pro for about 5 month now. Its still fast as lighting. Booting takes about 8-10 seconds, copying files is still fast, launching apps is much faster, ..

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
I have a Kingston SSD in my MacBook and there is no TRIM support in Lion DP4 for my drive.

However the TRIM enabler does work in Lion to enable this. Hopefully apple will eventually add it for all drives, but for now there is a working fix.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I read many issues when enabling the Trim hack for OSX. Most users complain it is much slower switched on.
atm Trim is switched off and running for 5 month very smooth. I think it is important to always keep about 20% free space to keep it smooth. Not sure about that though.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I read many issues when enabling the Trim hack for OSX. Most users complain it is much slower switched on.
atm Trim is switched off and running for 5 month very smooth. I think it is important to always keep about 20% free space to keep it smooth. Not sure about that though.

It's actually hit or miss depending on the SSD. I had zero issues with TRIM enabler on my Hackintosh, however it is true that a number of people have had issues.

Just saying you can't just assume that it doesn't work. Heck, it worked for the guy that initially released it...

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Does anyone know if running Windows 7 via Bootcamp overnight would allow the system to do TRIM garbage collection on the entire drive, or just on the Windows partition? I would think the former but I have no solid evidence.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Does anyone know if running Windows 7 via Bootcamp overnight would allow the system to do TRIM garbage collection on the entire drive, or just on the Windows partition? I would think the former but I have no solid evidence.

I am unsure about this. Does TRIM do the data erase using the filesystem type or is it done low level?

DocNo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011

Yup - TRIM allows the OS to communicate low level facts about the file system to the hard drive - basically "It's OK to erase these blocks since they aren't really in use".

Since Windows has no clue as what is going on with the Mac partition, it would only TRIM the windows partition.

For a Mac, if you aren't using an Apple SSD you should get an SSD that is over-provisoned and uses a SandForce controller - like the ones that OWC/macsales.com sells. The drive takes care of ensuring that there are plenty of free cells to write to by performing garbage collection on it's own. Same end result as TRIM, but it's OS independent. The only penalty is since there is extra flash for the over provisioning, SandForce based drives tend to cost a little more - but not always.

I have OWC drives in both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro and so far lack of TRIM is not an issue. My Mac Pro has been up for 7 months and is just as fast today as it was when I set it up initially.

hekokimushi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Here is a screenshot proof for your Reference
:apple::cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 1.26.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-02 at 1.26.30 PM.png
    775.1 KB · Views: 161
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.