Lion Two finger swipe in Safari with non multitouch trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Silverbird0000, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Since the older trackpads can scroll in all directions with two fingers, is it possible via a software hack, ect.. to enable the two finger back and forward in safari on an older MacBook without a multi touch trackpad? It seems this has to be possible. Apple just chose to disable it on older notebooks. While I have a new MBP, my significant other has and older MacBook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I think you're out of luck in this case. It's a limitation of the hardware, not the software.

I have an older (2008) white MacBook that doesn't support multi-touch. I resorted to just buying a Magic Trackpad so I could enjoy all the multi-touch goodness.

3. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that 3 and 4 finger swipes are a hardware limitation. But the older MacBooks have 2 finger capabilities. It can be done, its just limited by Mac OSX seeing that it's an older model and limiting the features. Just like an iPhone 3G is capable of recording video, Apple just chose not to let it.

4. ch02ce macrumors member

I also was hoping it could be done, because as you say 2-finger gestures are a-ok on this hardware.

But alas, Apple has determined that we do not need either inertial scrolling or swiping on our old hardware.

So today I bought a Magic Mouse for my office setup... haha. Apple wins this one. Lion is truly more fluid with a touch-enabled input device.

5. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a magic mouse and love it, but it can't do some of the great things the full multi touch trackpad can do. Lion is a totally different experience on a machine with a full multi touch trackpad then it is on a non multitouch one. I'm hoping that someone will come up with a way to make the already present 2 finger scrolling work with paging back and forward.

6. Silverbird0000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL!! Bring on MacSn0w!