Lion up-to-date question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ritmomundo, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I got a new MBP as a grad gift from my aunt and uncle, but I dont need it, considering I just got a new MBA with the whole 20% off at amazon thing. So, I'm going to sell it on craigslist. BUT it came installed with snow leopard, so I (or whoever buys it from me) would have to install Lion with the up-to-date program. Thing is, I only have about 2 weeks left to sell the laptop and for the owner to register the MBP for the Lion upgrade (it says a month from date of purchase). I haven't even opened the box yet, and I want to sell it as "sealed." My dilemma is that I don't want to lock it to my apple ID if I'm not going to be using that computer... Does anyone have experience with the up-to-date registration? If I do it myself (but don't download the software), will it be locked to my Apple ID?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Will it be locked? No. Do I recommend it? No.

The MAS allows you to log out and log in as another user. When you do that, you won't be able to update apps (lion included) unless the one who has bought it is logged in. If you do this, that person will have to use the Software Update to update the apps and it won't be a problem till the time Apple doesn't stop doing that. If Apple decides to make it MAS only, then the buyer will have trouble. Frankly speaking, if the person is spending a thousand+ (at least should cus anything cheaper for a latest MBP is a waste on your end), then another $30 for Lion shouldn't really matter.

3. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Thanks for your reply! So you think I should just leave SL installed, and let the new owner deal with it? That's fine with me, less work on my part. Ideally, and hopefully, if I get a buyer in the next 2 weeks, it won't be an issue anyway.