Lion updates through App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by michaelscott, Jul 11, 2011.

1. michaelscott macrumors newbie

Since 10.7 will be an App Store download, will updates be pushed through it, too? Or is Software Update the route they're taking?

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I don't know...i think they will push lion to you for FREE!!!
    :rolleyes:

3. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

updates will come throught software update as usual, thats what makes most sense,

the mac app store is only for the one time purchase.

4. michaelscott thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha. Thanks!

5. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

iLife was recently updated via the App Store so maybe Lion will be update via the Apple store.

Thats one way to ensure everyone buys it and now acquire it illegally.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

How do you know this as fact? Where did you read this? I haven't seen this information yet.

You say, "as usual", but this is not a usual release. If this is nothing but speculation, then on the contrary, I actually think updates will indeed be pushed through the Mac App store rather than Software Update. This makes more sense to me...

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I think it is pretty obvious to me that Apple is pushing its AppStore. The only problem with it is, that it cannot push updates and notify the user, as he software update does. I am sure though that this will come with a future update, but till then Apple will continue to offer updates through the software update mechanism.

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Software Update is included in Lion. The Developer Previews had updates through Software Update. It's pretty safe to say that Lion will still update the usual OS way.

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

In the long run, it seems smarter for Apple to merge the two, but until then, I think the above posters are correct.