Lion upgrade, now missing 50Gb

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Kadier, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Kadier macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm running Lion on my MacBook Pro. Before I upgraded I cleaned my harddrive a bit and had 50Gb free. I updated smoothly without issue.

The next day I received an alert telling me I had limited harddrive space. I checked the 'get info' menu on my harddrive icon and it said I had 756 Mb.

I deleted some more things, leaving me at 6Gb and then watched my harddrive space disappear. I immediately disabled versions in the Time Machine Preferences.

After disabling versions I got the previous 6Gb back but I'm still missing the original 50Gb.

I ran a time machine backup after finding some info that backing it up will clear the space but it did not.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get the 50Gbs of space back?

2. dean1012 macrumors regular

In Lion, TimeMachine will take local backups in addition to remote backups by default.

I suspect that these local backups may be causing these issues with your space.

Try running this in terminal to disable local backups:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

I've been told you need to reboot after doing this command.

All of your local backups should be deleted automatically and, if this is the cause, your space should be available once again.

3. Kadier thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I tried running tue sudo command in Terminal and restarted. Nothing happened.

4. Kadier thread starter macrumors newbie

So I figured out where the space went. I downloaded and ran Disk Inventory X. It showed that there were backups of my emails, meaning several of the exact same email. Hundreds of them. I deleted them and now my space is back.