Lion Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by safetyobc, Jul 19, 2011.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I have a 2008 MBP 2.2 running SL. 320 GB HDD. 4 GB Ram

I don't have Multi-touch trackpad in my model and I don't have the magic trackpad. Do I need that for Lion?

When I upgrade to Lion, will my current apps and settings be preserved? I have VM Ware with Windows 7. Will that be preserved?

How does it run on older Macs?

Thanks!

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Processor check
    Ram check
    Trackpad/multitouch input not required so check there as well
    Apps will be preserved but you need to run software update to get the migration assistant
    Windows 7 is on your NTFS/FAT32 partition so they it wont be touched.
    VMWare should be patched to enable Lion. The first startup may take a bit of time.
    Looks like you are go for Lion.

3. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Without multi-touch am I missing out on a lot of the Lion features?

Can those features still be used without multi touch?

Also, I use Spaces - A LOT! Is that heavily missed in Lion?

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

yes.

no.

i don't miss it

5. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Well, remember that you still have the function keys to activate mission control and stuff. For things like launch pad you can assign hot corners to activate them.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Hey,

Didnt want to start a new thread and felt it was relevant to this topic.

I currently have about 100gbs of files on my computer. I do have a back up of them but won't have That harddrive for another month as I am on vacation. Will the upgrade erase all my files? Should I wait til I have that harddrive before I am upgrade? Or am I able to.upgrade with a low risk of losing my data and settings?

Thanks!

7. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I have the same exact computer. You do not NEED a multitouch device but you will miss not having it. 4 options. Magic Mouse (What I have), Magic Track Pad, Microsoft Touch Mouse (don't know the name), or buy the new MBA (or any new Macbook). I like having my main apps opened in fullscreen and just sliding between them.... it is basically my favorite thing of Lion.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You don't need Migration Assistant for an in-place Lion upgrade. You only need it if you are transferring data from one Mac to another.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Upgrading is a low-risk procedure but you should still always backup before doing an OS update, if only to be able to roll back to your previous OS if something doesn't work in the new one. My personal recommendation? Wait. Lion isn't going anywhere, it will still be there when you get back.

My plan is to do a TM backup before installing Lion. Once that backup is completed, remove my TM machine and upgrade to Lion. I'll run it for a few days to make sure everything works. If it does, great. If not, I can reinstall SL and use TM to roll back to the latest version of SL.

10. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

So, if i wanted to upgrade anyway. All my data should be there?

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, the chance of all your data disappearing is slim, but not none. You should be safe, but I still recommend backing up first (if only all your really important stuff on a flash drive or something like that).