Lion Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, May 19, 2011.

  1. TSE macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #1
    I decided I am going to buy the 2011 15" $2199 MacBook Pro for University next year.

    I am, however, waiting for the Free iPod Promo which should be happening in about a week.

    If I buy the MacBook Pro once the iPod Promo opens up, will I get the $9.99 upgrade fee for Lion, or will I have to pay full price? Thank you!
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #2
    Where'd you get $9.99 from? In any case, there will only be a discount for those who purchased their Mac within a certain time frame. If the ipod promotion starts next week and you buy then, I wouldn't think you would qualify for a discount of Lion considering it is supposed to come out in July.

    With that being said, if you purchase soon after the iPod promotion starts and you do not get the Lion discount, you can get a pretty good discount from the bookstore at your University.
     
  3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #3
    we don't know yet since the price nor release date of lion have been announced.
     
  4. tamvly macrumors 6502a

    tamvly

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    #4
    I am somewhat amazed that a person willing to spend over $2000 on a laptop would be all that concerned about a $50 OS upgrade sometime in the future ... particularly since the original purchase will continue to work just fine.
     
  5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #5
    we don't know if it will be $50, Leopard was a $129 upgrade, Snow Leopard was a $29 upgrade.
     
  6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #6
    It's going to be more than 50 bucks, but I feel the same way. I've seen tons of people who even consider waiting for the 2012 mbp because of Lion, not the redesign. Kind of silly.
     
  7. srf4real macrumors 68030

    srf4real

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    paradise beach FL
    #7
    Hey, $100 is about 8GB of extra ram. I'm waiting for Lion.;)
     
  8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #8
    and 2-3 months without a computer....
     
  9. iSavant macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
  10. tamvly macrumors 6502a

    tamvly

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2007
    #10
    OK, you got me. It might be more than 50 bucks. Or less. My point is that the system doesn't fail to function the moment Lion is announced. I assume that if the OP can afford the original cost then another 5% doesn't seem like a whole lot of $. It's either worth it or it isn't.

    Seems to me like a silly reason to wait, but hey, that's just one man's opinion.
     
  11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #11
    no i definitely agree with your opinion, i don't know why anyone would wait for an OS upgrade, i mean maybe if it was going to be coming out in a few weeks, but we are looking until at least mid july for wwdc and it probably won't be released for at least a week or two after that.

    I was just saying, we don't know if it will be $50 ;)
     
  12. Chazn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2011
    #12
    By the time you wait for the Lion OS upgrade, the late 2011 MBP update will be here around October.
     
  13. Aldaris macrumors 65816

    Aldaris

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake
    #13
    In the past Apple has offered a $9.99 upgrade for those who purchase a Mac from a certain amount of time before the new OS release. Usually a week or two.

    In my opinion wait until WWDC to make your decision, we will be hearing more OS X 10.7 news that will be able to possibly make that decision for you, or at least give you a better idea.
     
  14. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #14
    there probably won't be a late 2011 update.... Ivy Bridge isn't supposed to hit products for consumers until next year so I don't know what they would do for an update before then...
     
  15. nwcs macrumors 65816

    nwcs

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #15
    There has been a minor spec bump in the fall for several years now. I'm betting there will be one this year, too.
     
  16. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2011
    #16
    WWDC is June 6-10. That doesn't seem like a long time to wait to see if Lion is officially announced then.

    http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
     
  17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #17
    well they have to have something to upgrade to, so what spec bump are they going to use, i think there is only one processor higher than the highest end mbp out right now (correct me if i'm wrong) but i'm not envisioning a spec bump until Ivy bridge.

    Just looked and only other SNB processor is the Core i7 extreme (2920XM) at 2.5 Ghz but it has a TDP of 55W instead of the 45W all the other processors have so I still don't see Apple adding this option to their lineup.

    i know i meant june for wwdc and probably july for lion, oops haha thanks.
     
  18. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #18
    Nobody knows but Apple, besides, you're not entitled to anything in the first place.
     

Share This Page