Lion upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesCotte, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

Hi everyone,
    Can I upgrade my Mac from Leopard straight to Lion or I have to buy Snow leopard before doing so?

Thanks

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

You have to get the latest version of Snow Leopard, 10.6.8.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only way to buy Lion is through the Mac App Store and that is only available on snow Leopard, soooooo you need SL to upgrade to Lion :)

P.S. This question has been asked a bazillion times, try searching next time ;)

4. JamesCotte thread starter macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

Oh well, thanks. It hurts to buy both of them at once. Btw I'm gonna stay with Leopard now:)

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Maybe you'll like Lion. I think its worth trying out.

6. JamesCotte thread starter macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

Lion is really really good, but it'll be too expensive to upgrade to both of them OS at once. Unless they give me some offer.

Anyway, I'll try Lion on my friend's Mac then see if it's worth it;)

7. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Have you ever upgraded Windows? Or paid to upgrade before SL? Buy it from the App Store on someone eases computer a burn it on a disk and then install.

8. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I think you should wait on Lion, let other people work out any kinks and bugs before updates.

However, you should consider upgrading to Snow Leopard just for the performance tweaks and space savings, compared to Leopard.

But, if money is an issue, then save your cash. These things are, more or less, luxuries.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's $58 total, for 2 OS'es($29 for SL, $29 for lion). The cheapest version of windows is more expensive than that. I don't see how that could be expensive for operating systems.

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

There is ways to do it. But you'd need a fair amount of computer skills to be able to do so.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Upgrade to 10.6; then stay there and have the best OS for Macs. I would say that Lion is a step in the wrong direction, but it's much more than a step, more like a mile.

12. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if Family pack will exist in Lion, but if it does, think about it with your friend. It will probably cost like 2 Lion licenses (or a little less) and it gives you 4-5 licenses to share with friends and family. That way you can get it a lot cheaper if you split it by 3 or 4 (or 5..)

13. JamesCotte thread starter macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

I dont know that we can actually do it this way

It's expensive for me at the moment. I'm poor man:(

Why? I thought Lion is brilliant. I watched the video about it, it is really better than SL

Cos I have to buy 2 OP at once, so still. I'll work it out if there is anything like this

14. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I've been running 10.7 since the first preview release, up to the current gold master; downloading each update hoping they would make changes to it to make it better, but they haven't. As someone who's used it(and when I started I assumed it was going to be good; I really want to like it, but can't), it's not an upgrade to 10.6

15. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

And why is that?

16. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I do not understand this terrible attitude that many users have towards Lion. Have you even used it? I've been using Lion as my main OS since DP 2 and there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, it has added many useful features. My guess is that you don't like Launchpad and Mission Control. You don't have to use Launchpad (I don't) and Mission Control... well, I don't know what to say about that. Anyways, just be a little open-minded.

17. Jens Engels macrumors member

How to upgrade to Lion (Free)

Hey

Im planning to get OS X Lion on launch date, but i baught my macbook in the timeframe after the keynote, where i receive a free copy of lion. How is it best that i receive my free lion copy on the launchdate :)?

anybody who get's lion like this too?

Thanks
    Jens

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

DP1 up to the gold master, so yep I've used it.

Launchpad sucks, bit you're right I removed it from my dock and moved on.

Mission control does not compare to spaces and expose, that in itself is a deal breaker for me.

They dumbed down Finder trying to make it more iOS like, I don't want an iOS computer.

The whole leather/wood look they put in some apps looks horrid.

And just the overall iOS feeling of it, it's nice on a phone. Not on a laptop.

If I were to boot into 10.7 I could give you everything I dislike, but I don't want to put myself through that.

19. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Will upgrading to Lion erase all my files? Should I back up using time machine and then reload my data?

20. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Well, it's all up to personal preference. So, I won't argue with that. I'm sorry that you don't like the OS. There's nothing wrong with Snow Leopard, I just like the added features of Lion. There are some aspects of it that feel cheap and unprofessional, though (Launchpad, iCal texture). I can understand your dislike.

21. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I understand that each person's financial situation is individual, but even if Lion cost the price of Lion and SL upgrades combined ($60) it would be a great price for a major OS upgrade, to jump from Leopard to Lion for that price is a pretty fantastic deal. Again, I'm not saying that you should be able to afford it (that's up to you), but if you think about what you're getting out of it, it's really a great deal.

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Don't be sorry, unless you helped in making 10.7; if you did, can you get me a job at Apple please? Haha

But anyway, yeah it is all personal preference. I guess I don't really think Lion is that bad, it's just that SL is really good. Some of it could be how customized I have SL to suit me with terminal commands, apps, tweaks, and the like; but I still think stock to stock I would go with 10.6.