Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Has anyone gotten the retail Lion USB stick ? If so, I'd like to know what is included on it. Is it just Lion or did they put in all the extras like on the DVDs of yore (like XCode).

I have yet to see a post about it and searching around the net did not yield anything as far as the content of the USB stick itself.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone gotten the retail Lion USB stick ? If so, I'd like to know what is included on it. Is it just Lion or did they put in all the extras like on the DVDs of yore (like XCode).

I have yet to see a post about it and searching around the net did not yield anything as far as the content of the USB stick itself.

I'm pretty sure they don't exist. I think SL was the last OS to have physical media of any kind. You can make a USB key by extracting the DMG and writing it to a USB device.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
What site are you reading exactly ?

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/apple-starts-selling-69-os-x-lion-usb-thumb-drive/

It was on the front page.

I guess no one here bought it since no one can reply with the contents of the thumb drive itself.

i read on another thread that it only contains the restore software. the same thing apple made available to download and that the drive was only a 1 gb drive. but on apples sight it sounds like it is a full operating system so now i don't know either.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Knight, I am ordering one in the next two weeks. I can let you know if some body beats me to it. :/

Hugh

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
i read on another thread that it only contains the restore software. the same thing apple made available to download and that the drive was only a 1 gb drive. but on apples sight it sounds like it is a full operating system so now i don't know either.

I'd doubt very much that it is a 1GB drive with only restore software on it. It wouldn't quite make sense to make this available to people without proper broadband and then have it require ... broadband.

You're thinking of the Apple care shipped USB thumb drive :

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/04/lion-usb-keys-available-for-some-via-applecare/

Knight, I am ordering one in the next two weeks. I can let you know if some body beats me to it. :/

Hugh

Thanks! Though a few weeks is a quite the wait.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I got mine on Saturday. I don't have the MAS version to compare, but I don't think it's radically different.

I've installed it on my C2D MacBook to try it out, it's not going on my main machine yet. The install went fine, copied over quickly then restarted and took about half an hour or something.

It's basically a single volume called Mac OS X Install, and when you open it up in the finder it just contains a big install application icon to double-click.
OSXLionUSB-window.jpg

The application itself is only 14.6 MB, but there is 3.82 GB of data on the 4.19GB capacity drive. Mine was created Saturday, 16 July (!) 2011.

OSXLionUSB-volume-info.jpg

On the top level of the volume is an invisible file called BaseSystem.dmg which is 453.6 MB
There's also a folder called Packages, which makes up most of the data on the drive at 3.28 GB, and seems to contain most of the other stuff.

OSXLionUSB-file-list.jpg

So I don't think there's XCode included, no.

I don't know if there's much else I can tell you but feel free to ask.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

Apple has two different USB install drives. The one you buy from the Apple Store contains the full Lion install. There's another one that a Genius may give you if you are not able to reinstall Lion from your restore partition. This one is as you have described it. It's also free, but you have to legitimately not be able to use your restore partition.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I got mine on Saturday. I don't have the MAS version to compare, but I don't think it's radically different.

The application itself is only 14.6 MB, but there is 3.82 GB of data on the 4.19GB capacity drive. Mine was created Saturday, 16 July (!) 2011.

Thanks! Indeed, that's bunk. Guess I'll save the cash and just get it from the MAS. :(

Was hoping to not have to register to the MAS, but I need Xcode. Was hoping it would be included on the USB thumb drive. There's no point in not getting Lion from the MAS if I'm only going to have to register to get Xcode anyhow.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It just uses your Apple ID. Do you not already have one?

Yes, I do have one, and yes I know it just uses that. I don't want to download and buy anything from the MAS. Call it a philosophical position.

But since I'll be forced to do so for Xcode anyhow, might as well save the 39$ for Lion.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yes, I do have one, and yes I know it just uses that.

OK, I was just confused by you wording. To me, at least, "register for the MAS" implied creating an account, not simply signing in. You don't register for MacRumors every time you come to post here, do you? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.